1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Ice packs.....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ThinkingChickens, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Songster

Feb 18, 2011
    I have these non-toxic ice packs that are basically white bag ice packs. I put one in our coop and one in the baby chicks pen as it's about 92 outside. Will the chickens use these or is this a waste? I just thought they might like something cool to lie next to.

2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Songster

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    It's worth a try. When it gets above about 97 degrees here, I put out a plastic tub with plain old ice in it, and my chickens gravitate to it. Some wade i the tub or even stand on the ice, but they all like to stand next to it and cool off.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Songster

Feb 18, 2011
    Hmm, that's good to know! We need to fix our ice maker because right now I don't even have the luxury of ice. Ha ha

4. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Songster

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    I should fix mine, it leaks and makes these big cumbersome chunks of ice, but that ends up being an advantage for the chooks. [​IMG]

5. jwg423

jwg423 Chirping

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    I froze some ice in ice cream pails and put in my coop and wondered if I was wasting my time also, but I snuck a peek while they weren't looking and I found that they were all huddling along side of it and one was even standing on top of it.
    I did have a few that didn't seem to have any interest in it, but most of them put it to good use...
    So I believe it may be worth the try.

6. annecreates

annecreates In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Oh! Great ideas... I'll have to try giving my birds ice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by