1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ice storm beauty & destruction (pic heavy!!)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by keeperofthehearth, Dec 22, 2008.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Friday we were hit by a major Ice storm. We were without power for 12 1/2 hrs but were blessed with temps in the low 30's that day, unlike the fridged temps we are experiencing now. Brrrr!
    We, like many others around here lost a lot of tree limbs. Seems the white pines were hit really hard along w/sugar maples. Snap,Snap, Snap! You could hear the branches breaking and falling through the woods and yard throughout the early hours of the morning. It was quite a sound, like gunfire. The dog was afraid to go out and I don't really blame her. I went out to take pic's and it was just a bit nerveracking to have branches poping & falling around you. Scary, sad & beautiful at the same time. Thought I'd share a few pics.

What we were greeted with early in the a.m.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right across my net fencing. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for some of the Beauty!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know this is long but thanks for looking and bearing with me. [​IMG]
    I took about 150 pic's that day and these a some of my favorites.

2. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Wow.....

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Those pictures are beautiful!! Thank you for sharing.

[​IMG]

4. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Wow! Beautiful!

And makes me appreciate living where it doesn't snow [​IMG]

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    And I'm complaining that it was 28 degrees this morning [​IMG] I'll take my winter over yours anyday!

6. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Great pictures, but your poor trees!!!!!!

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Amazing how gorgeous winter can be, LOVE the frozen fruit pics! [​IMG]

I think more people would enjoy winter if they got out in it instead of just driving through it. I'd hate it too if all I did was walk from my house to my car, sit in traffic, walk to the office, back to the car, back to the house.

I'm making a skating rink in the backyard this winter. Freezing my butt off every night putting down layer after layer of ice, but gosh it's fun! Last night I heard the pack of coyotes in the swamp howling back to the police car.

The moolight is so pretty reflecting off the snow and there's that special kind of quiet when everything is covered in snow and it's super cold.

Or the way the snow reflects a thousand tiny rainbows in the sunlight.

I also love seeing all the animal tracks. Like a full body imprint of an owl as it snatched up a rabbit. All that was left was a few tufts of fur and a perfect outline of two wings in the snow.

Ooo and coffee never tastes as good as a hot cup after being outside! Sitting by the fireplace at starbucks, nights spent at the bookstore or at a friends house watching movies and eating pie.

I love winter. [​IMG]

8. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Amazing how gorgeous winter can be, LOVE the frozen fruit pics!

I think more people would enjoy winter if they got out in it instead of just driving through it. I'd hate it too if all I did was walk from my house to my car, sit in traffic, walk to the office, back to the car, back to the house.

I'm making a skating rink in the backyard this winter. Freezing my butt off every night putting down layer after layer of ice, but gosh it's fun! Last night I heard the pack of coyotes in the swamp howling back to the police car.

The moolight is so pretty reflecting off the snow and there's that special kind of quiet when everything is covered in snow and it's super cold.

Or the way the snow reflects a thousand tiny rainbows in the sunlight.

I also love seeing all the animal tracks. Like a full body imprint of an owl as it snatched up a rabbit. All that was left was a few tufts of fur and a perfect outline of two wings in the snow.

Ooo and coffee never tastes as good as a hot cup after being outside! Sitting by the fireplace at starbucks, nights spent at the bookstore or at a friends house watching movies and eating pie.

I love winter.

[​IMG] Yes, I'll agree winter has it's moments. I don't get out to "enjoy" it a much as I used to & there are days esp. when the winter hits fast, hard and long that I long for the good o'l days in the milder Southwest. My dh hates winter with a passion. Finds no redeeming quality to it except for my pictures. [​IMG]

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Although never a lover of the cold...you have made it sound so beautiful. Do admit loving to see spiders webs covered in frost....stunning!

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Fantastic pics Keeper...thank you, loved the frozen fruits!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by