Ice Storm Coming and Peafowl Roost in Trees!! What to expect?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Chic-n-farmer, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Weather forecast predicts 1 - 2 inches of ICE! My peafowl roost outside, by choice, in trees. I'm concerned on how they will be.
    Zero degrees doesn't seem to bother them, but that's a lot of ice.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

That much ice takes trees down. I have seen ours with snow on their backs some mornings, with that much ice coming I would make them roost inside.

Steve

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:I've tried talking to them and they won't listen to reason. [​IMG] Short of tackling them, which would create serious trust issues, I don't know what to do. They are more than willing to stand next to me, but unwilling to be handled.

[​IMG]

4. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Can you try luring them in with a favorite treat? Corn, dry cat food or small pieces of bread are always favorites around here. just a thought.[​IMG]

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    It can be very hard to entice them to go in their pen, but like 6littlechickies said food is a good bribe. Take some unshelled penuts, make sure the birds see them, maybe even throw down one or two so they know it is food and can have a little taste, then with their attention throw lots of penuts inside the pen. Lettus might work too. I hope you can pen them up before the storm.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by