1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ice Storm hear in Illinois...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by mothergoose, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Hope everyone is fairing well during the current winter storms. We got hit hard with ice. Lost lots of trees and have fence damage. We have been without power for going on 3 days now. We are at my mothers right now, so we could all shower and had to get online, it has been awhile and I wanted to check in.
    The birds and critters are all ok, but not liking the no power..some are used to being alittle warmer than they are right now!
    Hopefully we will get power back by the first of the week. I still have all my Christmas baking to do and lots of shopping that needs done, but hard to get motivated when you have no power, no water....Hope everyone is well.
    Have a very Merry Christmas!
    Christie [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Wow Christie, Been watching all this unfold on the news. It's headed our direction tonight. We were spared this latest hit to the New England states.

Stay safe and warm.

Merry Christmas to you also!!

3. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Everything is iced over around here too, though no power outages or anything (at least not near me). I love the way the trees and grass looks but would gladly take snow over ice any day! We're expecting more winter weather tomorrow [​IMG]
    Hope you get your power back soon....

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Its raining buckets like it has been for days, but tomorrow night, we'll be around 10-15 degrees, so the ice will be setting up. I hope the power stays on! Stay warm, Christie. My Welsummer girls are laying well right now. They started out with good sized eggs, too. Hope your bad stuff is over really soon!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    We had some ice but more like slush type.....nasty when it freezes overnight.

Other that that, we are doing fine. No power outages going on in town.

Remember Karen? She had no power for eight hours and she had alot of ice too! Broke some trees in her nursery.

Whatever you do, play it safe and hope the animals will weather this out as much as you do.

6. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Thank you all for the well wishes. We did finally get our power back. We were without power for 6 days. We got it back the night before Christmas eve. We have lots of trees down and more clean up to do. Most likely it will be spring before we get it all done. This up down weather is pretty screwy too!
    Hope everyone has a wonderful & safe New year!
    Christie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by