ice water on a summer day

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrdruids, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    on a real scorcher would it be helpful to put some ice in their water?

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Yes - that's what I do. Ice in waterer, frozen 1 gal juice jug in the coop at night, lots of cold yogurt, cottage cheese or frozen melon rinds. Every little bit helps!

3. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I've been putting ice in their water every day since it's been so hot. They really like it! [​IMG]

4. mrdruids

Jul 27, 2011
    yay because i just did it and i didnt want to hurt them in anyway thanks

5. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Yes, this is what I do. I also freeze melon, (cantalope) that I can get at our local veg stand for about $1 for the ones going bad. I come home and take out the seeds, and cut in pieces and freeze. They LOVe this! I take it out in the hottest part of the day!

6. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    We add ice to ours and also add 20oz bottles which we freeze and throw them inside the waterer as an added measure to keep the water cold.

Also when I have left over fruit or soggy fruit I throw it in a bag or container and put it in the freezer for them for the next day. They LOVE IT!

7. mrdruids

Jul 27, 2011
    very good ideas, i dont want my girls overheating. i know theyre pretty hot because they lounge under their favorite tree when the days at its hottest

8. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

On hot days I clean out the fridge, tossing out those leftovers that we won't be eating anytime soon. The chickens like cold food on hot days.

9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That is a GREAT idea, my chickens are going to love you!
    I add icew to the wate ron very hot days but Frozen melon, they are going to go nuts for it.

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm an ice guy. I've read where some say you don't need it. I do not see how it couldn't help. On hot days I know I like my water cold & it cools me down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by