Iceberg lettuce for your birds

destinduck

obsessed with "ducks"
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
n.w.FLORIDA
I have heard not to feed iceberg lettuce to birds and animals for that matter and have never done so just because there is a wide variety of greens to choose from. I was wondering if anyone knew why this is or if its even true. Could it be bad for them or just no nutrition in this type lettuce ? Thoughts ? Internet digging anyone ?

I looked back and found in an old 2008 post as well as a few articles on the net that people do not recommend feeding iceburg lettuce to your chickens because it is less than 1% protein. Basically, I would conclude that a small treat of it would be okay as long as they don't fill up on it and you give them protein and vitamins in other feed.

Thanks Lisa. What I was leaning toward was the its mainly water and not much nutrition thing. Maybe I need to to be eating more of this to lose weight and feel full too!
lol.png

my girls love grass.being that we are into winter there is none.they look for their lettuce each day.i read on byc that some feed there chickens alfalfa pellets.well i'am stuck with a 50 pound bag.i thought i had found the soultion for greens for my girls until warm weather and the grass starts growing.i soaked it in warm water until it was soft.boy did i get a stink eye.

Wow. I just think its wild so much of it is grown yet doesnt seem to have much benefits for us let alone our bird friends. Oh well, till I get some good imput I guess I will stick with the "other" greens.

Yes they all are great. I think variety is best. And I throw them in the mix also here and there. I have mainly bare pens (no live plants) for too many reasons to list here where I live. So I toss in various greens daily to keep them nutritionally sound.

Back
Top Bottom