Iceberg lettuce for your birds

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by destinduck, Jan 5, 2012.

1. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I have heard not to feed iceberg lettuce to birds and animals for that matter and have never done so just because there is a wide variety of greens to choose from. I was wondering if anyone knew why this is or if its even true. Could it be bad for them or just no nutrition in this type lettuce ? Thoughts ? Internet digging anyone ?

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I looked back and found in an old 2008 post as well as a few articles on the net that people do not recommend feeding iceburg lettuce to your chickens because it is less than 1% protein. Basically, I would conclude that a small treat of it would be okay as long as they don't fill up on it and you give them protein and vitamins in other feed.

3. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Thanks Lisa. What I was leaning toward was the its mainly water and not much nutrition thing. Maybe I need to to be eating more of this to lose weight and feel full too! [​IMG]

4. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    my girls love grass.being that we are into winter there is none.they look for their lettuce each day.i read on byc that some feed there chickens alfalfa pellets.well i'am stuck with a 50 pound bag.i thought i had found the soultion for greens for my girls until warm weather and the grass starts growing.i soaked it in warm water until it was soft.boy did i get a stink eye.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I was always told with parrots it acted as a laxative, ....... Not sure if it's true.

6. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Wow. I just think its wild so much of it is grown yet doesnt seem to have much benefits for us let alone our bird friends. Oh well, till I get some good imput I guess I will stick with the "other" greens.

7. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

What about radish greens? Or turnips? If dandelion is good for them, I'd certainly think these would be.

8. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Yes they all are great. I think variety is best. And I throw them in the mix also here and there. I have mainly bare pens (no live plants) for too many reasons to list here where I live. So I toss in various greens daily to keep them nutritionally sound.

9. chickiewhite

chickiewhite Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    A little won't hurt but spinach is better

10. Duckadia

Duckadia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Narrabri, AUS
    Spinach stops the absorbsion of calcium in ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by