Iced-out chicken! What to do??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Keaokun, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Keaokun

Keaokun Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Hi Guys!

Need your advice!

I had 6 chickens, 3 wyandottes, and 3 orpingtons. The wyandottes are the head of the household! this past week two of my orpingtons crowed, so I had to give them away to a farmer friend because I live in the city...

Now, my remaining orpington is iced out of the group. The wyandottes don't let her sleep on the perch, so she sleeps in the corner of the coop. They are not violent with her, but they bully when its time to eat and sleep, and basically don't spend time with her.

What should I do?? I am debating looking for another oprington to add to my flock so she can have a friend... Is this the right thing to do?? My understanding is that the breeds flock together, so I'm hoping if I add an orpington, they would get along. Yes? no?

Help please! Thanks in advance for your wise knowledge!!!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    one of them is always going to be low man on the totem pole. its just the pecking order. doesn't mean you cant get more though ! lol

3. Keaokun

Keaokun Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks! I'm thinking getting another orpington would give her a friend even though she's at the bottom of the order.... Have you heard of chickens sticking to their own breeds?

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i haven't read anything about that but i have seen it in my own flock. not all of them but they do seem to group in color [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by