1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Iceland, Icelandic Ponies, and Thanksgiving! Photos added!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kelly G, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

OMG!!! We are here in Iceland....and I am at a loss for words to describe how beautiful this country is (it's also a bit chilly!). The ponies are EVERYWHERE!!! And they are NICE!!!

We stopped and saw several, and each was nicer than the next! These things are SO darn cute!!! I'm thinking Siggy and Ole need an Icelandic cousin!!! We took some business cards, but importing is probably going to be out of the question. I believe it's around $8,000. I've seen some in the states, but I haven't seen anything nearly as nice as what I saw today...and most are in peoples backyards turned out with sheep!

Anyway, I will post pictures as soon as I get back home. I took a TON!!

We will be sitting in a hot tub in just a few minutes - with a glass of wine - waiting to watch for the Aurora Boreales. Does it get better than this??

I want to tell you all more....but I'm soooo tired and we have a big day tomorrow - so I have copied and pasted my F.B. note if anyone wants to read more....

We had an unbelievable day today! We got up this morning and drove about two hours outside of Reykjavík in these huge tundra buggies...we drove through rivers, streams, and whatever else was in the way. We were in a caravan of three of these vehicles - and the drivers had a lot of "fun" racing eachother and flying over non-existent road!

Our first stop was to the volcano that caused all the trouble with flying earlier this year. It was an awesome sight! When it erupted, it completely filled in a lake at the base that was 30 meters deep. The lake is completely gone and filled with ash.

We stopped and looked at a glacier - the first one I've ever seen. I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe what we saw...I sure hope my pictures come out!!!

After we were done at the glacier(s), we drove about a mile out (still no road!) We had an unbelievable day today! We got up this morning and drove about two hours outside of Reykjavík in these huge tundra buggies...we drove through rivers, streams, and whatever else was in the way. We were in a caravan of three of these vehicles - and the drivers had a lot of "fun" racing eachother and flying over non-existent road!

Our first stop was to the volcano that caused all the trouble with flying earlier this year. It was an awesome sight! When it erupted, it completely filled in a lake at the base that was 30 meters deep. The lake is completely gone and filled with ash.

We also stopped and looked at a glacier - the first one I've ever seen. I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe what we saw...I sure hope my pictures come out!!!

Water falls and geysers are everywhere here (we stopped and photographed a few). 75% of this country's energy is derived from geo-thermal sources. People drive past them here like we drive by trees. Speaking of trees....there are not many here, and what trees are here grow very slow. We passed one stand of trees trees (oaks) that are 100 years old, but are only 20 feet tall.

After we were done at the glacier(s), we drove about a mile out (still no road!) to the beach that has been created by the volcano. The sand is coarse (but still soft to feel) and black as the night. - it was beautiful against the blue, blue skies and the ocean. We were there for sunset - and it was spectacular.

We also got to stop and visit with some Icelandic Horses (ponies) - and, of course, I took a ton of pictures. Each was cuter than the next. I want to bring one back with me- they are so flippin' cute!!!

Here are a couple of things (in random order) that we've learned today about this country:

*The Icelandic lanuage is the language that was spoken by the Vikings, and other than the addition of new words, the language remains entirely unchanged (they are very proud of theis as we heard it several times).
    *On the shortest day of the year, they have 3.5 hours of light (December 21). Right now, the sun is up above the horizon at about 10:30am and below the horizon at about 4pm.
    *The island has only one resident mammal: the arcitc fox. Every other mammal that is here, is here because of humans.
    *There is one Icelanic Horse for every 3 people living here - they are everywhere!!!
    *Polar bears visit, but do not stay.
    *There is only one religion practiced here: Lutheran.
    *The total population for Iceland is approximately 3 million - with one third of the population living in Reykjavik.

There is more - so much more, but we are expected for dinner in 15 minutes. More tomorrow! Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sounds like your having a wonderful time! Happy Thanksgiving and can't wait to see pics!!!

3. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I love Iceland. [​IMG] It is such a unique country. Great for people like me who don't want close neighbors.

Went there twice in 2006. I visited farm after farm searching for two horses that wanted to come home with me. I finally found Gosi (means idiot) and Stefnir. Back then it was about $3200 a piece for export. Worked out to about what I would have paid here if I could have found two horses I liked. Add the memories of the adventure I had and it was well worth the price. Driving to the north of the country in a shoe box sized manual transmission Nissan in a raging blizzard was really fun. [​IMG]

4. Kelly G

Quote:Did the $3200 include quarantine? I saw several that I'd be interested in today...it wasn't the intent of my visit to be horse shopping, but - WOW!!! Some pretty good prices on some VERY nice horses! An [​IMG]d I DO have an empty stall

Post pics - I'd LOVE to see yours!!! I love the name, "Gosi"!! That's hilarious!!!

5. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I love the Icelandic horses ~! Do remember, that they have long been bred for colder climates and many suffer from 'sweet itch' in the warmer climes here.

6. Kelly G

Quote:You are absolutely right! I have to body clip my Fjords about every 6 weeks in summer and about every 8 - 10 weeks in the winter. The thing is....I think my big body-clipping Osters might actually be too big to body clip one of these furry beasts!!! But I can't imagine doing it with my A-5's. Hmmmm.....that should be fun!!!

We are planning on moving to N.C. in 2013 (waiting for our youngest to graduate from H.S.)...but even that area is probably warm for them....Iceland's record for the highest temperature was 86F back in 2007!

7. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I believe it did include quarantine. But I think that part of the price went up. Makes no sense since Iceland is one of the strictest countries when it comes to it's livestock. Rarely is anything allowed in so anything that leaves is probably healthier than where it is going. As for sweet itch one of my geldings does have it. He is allergic to the cullocoid type biting insects. He wears horsey body armor in the summer to keep the flies from biting.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Did you check for any Icelandic Chickens????

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

DId you have a roast Puffin for T-day?

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You should be glad the Icelandic people don't see you calling their horses "ponies." [​IMG] That's practically an insult.

But, lucky you! Very nice place there.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by