Icelandic chicken breeders?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ginny7, Dec 27, 2016.

1. ginny7

ginny7 Just Hatched

Dec 27, 2016
    I recently discovered Icelandic chickens and they seem like a great breed but I can't find any breeders that ship. Does anyone know of any breeders in VA or NC or any that will ship?

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The title of your post caught my eye...Icelandics caught my attention about a year ago. I'm hoping to be able to find some myself next spring (I'm in a different part of the country than you). You might try reading through this breed focus thread to see if there is any information useful to you: post #1

Good luck!

3. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    Just Fowling Around ships hatching eggs, though I don't have any reviews on them.

4. MTmillefleur

MTmillefleur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    The Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/icelandicchickens/ acts as an unofficial club, education center and group for Icelandic chicken owners in North America and Iceland. There is a Breeders List of vetted breeders, a lot of informational documents under Files, and has[​IMG]

more than 3,500 members. Here are photos from my flock in Western Montana. As you can see, the landrace (not a breed with a standard of perfection) is very diverse. They are also incredibly various as to personality, intelligence and curiosity. They lay a lot of white to tinted medium to large eggs, are very good at free range thriftiness and are very interesting.

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Stunning birds, I really like how they all look different. I hope to some day have some of my own. Do you ever sell chicks or fertile eggs?

6. RanchRodeo

RanchRodeo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2016
    Iowa
    are you wanting eggs or live birds. I could ship eggs but never shipped live birds.

7. ginny7

ginny7 Just Hatched

Dec 27, 2016
    Eggs. How much would they cost?

8. RanchRodeo

Jun 16, 2016
    Iowa
    How many are you thinking so I can figure shipping

9. ginny7

ginny7 Just Hatched

Dec 27, 2016
    About 8.

10. RanchRodeo

Jun 16, 2016
    Iowa
    Will get back with you Monday. $2.50 an egg but I think shipping will be around $14. What state do you live?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by