Icelandic Double Yolker

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Sheriff, Sep 28, 2010.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I put an egg in the incubator that I suspected to be from my mature Icelandic hen who has been raising a baby for 12 weeks. Tonight I candled and realized it had a blood ring. I did an eggtopsy on it and realized that it was a first egg from one of my pullets and a double yolker. Both yolks had an embryo started but both had quit and a blood ring had formed. The egg was much larger than the pullet eggs I began getting in the days after the first one so I assumed it was from the hen and not a pullet egg. I was really surprised. Anyway here is what it looked like, an embryo on the right that quit early and one on the left that was more developed but had a blood ring. My camera was freaking out so the pic isn't very good.

[​IMG]

The good news is I set 14 eggs from three pullets who all started laying last week and 10/14 were fertile! Nine are developing and one was the double yolker. Today was Day 5. Only 16 more days!

2. SilkiePuff

SilkiePuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    wow weird.. has anyone ever successfully hatched a double yolker..?? that would be considered twins right?

that is soo weird I've never seen a double yolked egg before. [​IMG]

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:It has been done but almost always doesn't end well.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a GC Maran that frequently lays a double yolker. I've had folks try to test hatch them but none have made it past the first week.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good luck with your hatch!

6. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Someone on here hatched out twins, not so long ago, they were so cute.. cant remember who that was sorry.. but maybe putting it into the search box would bring it up? If I find the thread I will post link for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by