IceMelter "salt"s are they bad for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Feb 8, 2011.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Does anybody here have a reference or guide to which of the ice-melters are safest to use around the chickens? I can't find a bag labeled "safe for pets and children" this year.

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I do not use any salts around my chickens. My dog will whine and lick his paws whenever there is de icer salt spread on the walkways and outside garage area.

So assuming it burns his feet I do not want to chance with my chickens..

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Dang.

I think I'll fence off the front stairs/walk area until winter melts away. The ice is just too dangerous.

4. tom e

tom e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    Sand might help at least give you some traction.

5. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    I wouldn't use any de-icer around your birds. That much salt & all the chemicals is bad for them (it also kills/stunts grass). I'd also suggest using sand for traction. You can probably find a pretty cheap bag of "traction sand."

6. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    ive used..pickling salt & regular table salt at coop door...next to goat pen gate..goats try lickin it, even tho they have salt lick blocks......actually seems to loosen up ice chunks better then the commerial deicer stuff...and if it actually kills grasses / weeds extra benifit for me..less to hand pull out.....havent tried sea salt ,bet it would work also.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    What about water softener salt? Gotta be cheaper than sea salt!

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Theres some type of salt called Safetly salt for animals like cats and dogs.... Doubt it's for chickens. Didn't use anything where the chickens can get to. Bought a bag of sand but haven't used it yet.

AC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by