Icepocalypse

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 3chickchicks, Dec 5, 2013.

1. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    An ice storm is due to arrive this afternoon, so I let my girls get as much free ranging time this morning. Usually they have all day, but they're all close to laying so, to train them to use the nest box, I have kept them locked in their run until mid morning.
    So, I checked the radar and saw the ice was just a few miles away. I rounded them up, much to their displeasure, and locked them in the run (the coop is attached). There was a lot of fussing and squawking at me over this but they obeyed. Still,they were quite p!ssed about it. I could hear them cussing me from all the way in the house.
    The ice just arrived and there is not a single peep out of them. They're up in their cozy and dry coop.
    Silly birds.
    Of course, I'm sure had I not rounded them up, I'd still be in trouble with them for letting it rain and sleet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    [​IMG] That's hilarious! My game hens are exactly the same. If it's too cold for their liking, they have to let you know about it!

3. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I've seen pictures of game hens. They look like they have small bodies and skinny. How cold tolerant are they?

Mine are cold tolerant breeds who've had plenty to eat and are spoiled rotten living like queens in my back yard. I keep telling them about some of the horrid conditions that exist..like living in tiny cages or living without a coop to get them to appreciate me a bit more. They don't believe me and say all the pictures I show them are photoshopped.

4. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by