Icky-Bottom Hen, Oogy Pics

BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
ETA: My hen died on Monday. I gave her a dab of Monistat cream on my finger, and a short time later she convulsed and died. I do not know if the Monistat was the proximate cause of death or not. Her crop was pliant and doughy but there was no odor from her mouth that I could discern. Thanks to all who responded.

My 2-yo Black Australorp hen was hanging back Friday (yesterday, Mar. 18) when I went out to give everybody their afternoon treats and turn them out to free range. Even when I encouraged her to hurry up and join the crowd, she hung back and I noticed she had a dirty backside. So at roosting time a few hours later, DH and I went out with a flashlight to check on her. She was not roosting with the crowd but had separated herself so she was easy to get hold of and examine. Her cloaca appeared flaming red and she was exteremely tender and goopy back there, so we brought her into the enclosed back porch and put her in the hospital crate overnight. Today we took her out and got pictures of her so we could get an opinion on her from the experts here. She's eating and drinking and seems of a good weight so far. I could not discern an odor to the discharge, and I'm usually very sensitive to odors. I'm sorry to say I forgot to check her crop (duh!), but will do so in the morning. I will also bathe her in the morning after I get some responses from you guys. Pics follow after I do the Q&A.

What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2-yo BA, a fairly substantial, even chunky gal.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Maybe a little depressed, uncomfortable, isolating from the flock.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I only noticed the problem Friday afternoon.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Not that I have seen.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Have not seen anything. Friday night when we examined her, I did insert a lubricated gloved finger into her vent up to about my second knuckle to check for signs of a broken egg because the discharge looked like egg white to me, but there was no obstruction whatsoever.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
We provided her the regular all-flock crumbles they always have, fresh water plus a tiny amount of their afternoon treat: a little scratch, a few mealworms and a little BOSS. She didn't appear to eat much of that.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal, what she left in the crate. After taking pics today we put her back outside in a separate pen so she wouldn't be lonely.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
The digital and visual exams, and we coated the area with plain original Neosporin and then sprayed with Veterycin.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We will treat her ourselves following advice we get here. Do not think we have avian vets in the area and have full confidence in the experience and wisdom of BYC.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Following is the best pic I got. Today the margins of the vent do not appear inflamed, as they did last night, but the area to right of the vent does look a little sore and red. The discharge has dried and become crusty; I left it there in case it helps identify the problem.

20220319_125321.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
The "coop" is an 8x10' walk-in hen house with shredded paper for bedding on a plywood floor and also used as nesting material.

I haven't washed her yet. It's 11 pm here now. Do you recommend an epsom salts bath (will that sting?) or a warm bath with a few drops of Dawn dish soap? Afterward, should I coat her bottom with Vaseline or the equivalent in case this slime, whatever it is, might be irritating her skin? I did trim back the feathers around her vent Friday night (last night) in order to get a better visual inspection. Her feathers were pretty crusty.

Thanks for any and all comments, suggestions, advice and recommendations! ❤❤❤

Last edited:
Well, we bathed her. Used warm water and a drop or two of Dawn. She didn't like it much although we used warm water so as not to shock her system too much. It's about 60°F out and sunny, not windy. She objected but didn't totally freak out. Put her back in the infirmary (brooder/ bachelor pen, etc.). Did not see any new discharge. Ugh! Forgot to check her crop again. Will have to put her back in the dog crate tonight to properly do that. Will research vent gleet. Will be gone until 7:30 - 8 pm tonight.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous
Well, we bathed her. Used warm water and a drop or two of Dawn. She didn't like it much although we used warm water so as not to shock her system too much. It's about 60°F out and sunny, not windy. She objected but didn't totally freak out. Put her back in the infirmary (brooder/ bachelor pen, etc.). Did not see any new discharge. Ugh! Forgot to check her crop again. Will have to put her back in the dog crate tonight to properly do that. Will research vent gleet. Will be gone until 7:30 - 8 pm tonight.
How is her crop this morning?

Has she been laying eggs recently and have they been normal? It is hard for any of use to diagnose vent discharge. She might have a reproductive infection, vent gleet/fungal infection, or something else. If you can get a fecal float and a gram stain done by your regular vet, I would take in some fresh droppings. The absence of an odor may point more to reproductive infection than vent gleet. If you are not opposed to use of an antibiotic, amoxicillin (AquaMox available online) or something like enrofloxacin can be used to treat her. Probiotics could be useful, and plain yogurt or buttermilk in moderation have some of those. Check to see if her crop is emptying by early morning.

Has she been laying eggs recently and have they been normal? It is hard for any of use to diagnose vent discharge. She might have a reproductive infection, vent gleet/fungal infection, or something else. If you can get a fecal float and a gram stain done by your regular vet, I would take in some fresh droppings. The absence of an odor may point more to reproductive infection than vent gleet. If you are not opposed to use of an antibiotic, amoxicillin (AquaMox available online) or something like enrofloxacin can be used to treat her. Probiotics could be useful, and plain yogurt or buttermilk in moderation have some of those. Check to see if her crop is emptying by early morning.
Thanks, Eggcessive. I don't know if she's been laying. I have 3 BA hens and I'm only getting one brown egg a day. Now that I have her isolated I'll know if she's laying. I'll give her some yogurt and hope that helps, and see about the AquaMox. I'll also put her in a crate overnight to get some droppings. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom