Icky Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WAma, Nov 20, 2013.

1. WAma

WAma New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    My hens won't lay in the nesting boxes, and always manage to lay in a dirty (poopy) section of the coop. I've tried every tip I've found here and elsewhere online -- eggs or golf balls in the box, moving the boxes, changing boxes, giving them privacy, etc., etc. -- and they always seem to pick a spot in the coop right under one of the perches. It doesn't matter which perch, as long as there's a perch.

They also lay out in the wooded area of our fenced yard; these are the only clean eggs I ever get. I try to keep them in the enclosed coop/run long enough for them to lay, but some of them are quite determined. (One of our girls disappeared last spring and returned with nine chicks, five of them roosters!)

I don't want to search for eggs every day, and I don't want to keep finding eggs in excrement. Yuck.

Help!

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    for some reason your hens dont feel secure or "at home" in the nesting boxes. it could be a varmit, to small of nestboxes or any number of reasons.

the easiest option i can come up with is to put pine shavings down in the run area of your coop -that will get the eggs out of the mud.

you could also cover the run area with plastic, a tarp or metal to dry it up some.

3. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i forgot to say:
    [​IMG]

4. WAma

WAma New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Thanks, LOB! I appreciate your answer. However...it's not mud, it's droppings, and they just seem to prefer to lay their eggs in it!

The coop is closed to outsiders overnight, and I keep the chickens enclosed until mid-morning to allow for laying time. I keep pine shavings on the floor of the coop, and refresh them (adding) almost every day when I let the chickens out to roam. I have areas of the coop (in addition to the boxes) where they can lay without being under a perch, but they keep heading under one of the perches! I've tried both wooden nesting boxes and plastic, and I've had two eggs laid in them -- total -- in 16 months.

Any other suggestions? I'm at my wit's end!

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    can you get a picture of your nestboxes, showing part of the location? it might be easier if i can see.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If they're determined to lay under a perch, make a nest box under the perch. Just take something like a 5 gallon bucket or a Rubbermaid tub and lay on it's side, so there's a roof to keep the poop from the perch off. toss some shavings in, maybe some decoy eggs and see if that helps. Scrape the poop off the roof whenever you need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by