1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Icky eye! Warning... gross picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coop de Grille, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    What is wrong with my hen???? I noticed today that her comb is all spotted black and white and her eye is just nasty with infection. What can I do for her?

[​IMG]

2. Buffygirl

Buffygirl Out Of The Brooder

I'm not quite sure what that is because I have never seen anything like it before, but for her eye you should probably use some vetrycin. Vetrycin is this really awesome stuff that works for anything and everything (kind of like neosporin but better!) And pretty much any feed store carries it. It won't hurt her if it gets in her eyes or her mouth. Just the normal wound and infection care one, and I know it's expensive but trust me, you won't regret it. The spray bottle is really handy.

P. S. I know it says "For animal use only", but you can also use it on yourself!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It appears she has fowl pox and has scratched a nodule near her eye causing infection. Flush her eye with saline solution and put neosporin ointment in her eye until she heals.

2 people like this.
  4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I agree it's fowl pox. There's a wet and dry form of the virus. Time for a little reading on your part.

5. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    It seems like that IS what she has, and at this point there is nothing I can really do for her. It has to run it's course. Tomorrow I will inspect all of my birds to see if anyone else has this on them.

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    I'm really sorry to say this, but that's almost certainly fowl pox.

>>peck here<< to open the results of googling educational websites for this disease, in a new window ... here's some other images of this disease:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have four other girls that are in various stages of chicken pox. One other has her eye looking all nasty like the one in the picture, the others have it just on their comb. We are going to bleach all the waterers and feeders today, and clean up the coop as best we can.

8. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Do what dawg suggested, in regard to that one's eye, or she'll likely lose the use of it.

For inside the coop, while the birds are using it? Wet it down a bit w/ a solution of plain ol' white vinegar, rather than using bleach inside. Fowl Pox spreads mostly buy direct contact, and it sounds like they've all been exposed by now ... at least, once it's run it's course? They're done w/ it -- unlike some diseases, like Merek's, birds infected by Fowl Pox are not forever carriers of the disease.

Giving your entire flock an astringent solution of about five teaspoons to the gallon of apple cider vinegar in their water (but never in galvanized metal) will help to boost their immunity, as the tannin in apple cider vinegar helps to reduce the viscosity of mucus and 'cut through' coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, which helps 'em to better expel accumulations of mucus, and anything it contains, and improves the uptake of nutrients/minerals.

For the next few weeks, at least? Stay away from anybody else's flock(s), or clean up *really* well before you leave -- it's most probably on everybody's shoes, and in the carpet of your vehicles, and the faucets and doorknobs of your home ... I never go where other birds are, or have been, without scrubbin' up really well, and changin' out my boots before/after -- ridiculously paranoid, when it comes to bringin' anything in.

9. hen101

hen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2012
    Washington,Pa
    look how gross my friends rooster had tht

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by