Icky eyes...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover15, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two runner drakes that seem to have the same problem with their eyes. There's lots of what I call "eye boogers" around their eyes and I'm having a hard time cleaning them off. The ducks don't have a pool outside now since the temperature has been below freezing and will remain until spring...but I take them in at least twice a week for a bath in the house.

I've been trying to hold the ducks and gently remove the gook, but it won't come off very easily and I don't want to hurt them. Has anyone had this problem and know an easy, painless way to clean it off? I'm not sure if it's an eye infection or not, but I have antibiotics for eye infections...should I try that and see if the eyes clear up?

They're normal in every other way, just icky eyes.
  2. pishposh

pishposh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    westminster, md
    Do they have a bucket of water they can get their whole heads in each day? That makes all the difference for my ducks when they get a goopy eye. We have a heated bucket that gets changed once a day and they all take turned "bathing".

I hope they are doing better soon!
  3. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    I read that the goo is from the saliva of the male ducks and wash cloth is the only way to get it done as far as I know
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I had ducks when I was a teen, and have been immersing myself in duck literature this year to prepare for a small flock of runners.

I agree that it is important to find a way to give the ducks free access to water that they can dunk their little heads in (all the way) several times a day. This keeps the stuff from building up and reduces the risk of infection.

My pekins and mallards always had access to at least a foot of water (we lived in Georgia at the time) and they had no health problems, certainly not gummy eyes.

There are a number of ways to keep some open water for the ducks. If you get long deep freezes, you will need to use a heater or (and this can get pricey) get really elbow-deep in engineering a waterer that will stay open using passive solar or geothermal.

My initial plan is an electric heater plate made for the job, that goes under a watering pail. Longer term, though, (I have a geeky side) I want to use solar energy and mass heat storage to make a reservoir that will stay at or above freezing. It can be done - just takes some ingenuity, and often $$$$.

Take good care of those ducks, and yourself!!
  5. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a deep heated bucket of water outside next to their heated waterer that I change everyday...maybe they're not using it? I've seen them drink out of it, but I don't usually see them dunking their heads in.

When I bring them in for their baths, I'll try to do a better cleaning job. Hopefully that will help!

Thanks for the advice! =]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by