icky feet on new roo, how do I Treat this, ( pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sophie Mae, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A friend just gave me this roo, I cleaned him up and noticed his feet. Is this something to worry about? If so how do I treat it. I have him away from all my other chicks.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'm not really sure!! I'm giving you a bump so maybe someone can help you figure it out!!

3. Sophie Mae

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    thanks

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    looks like some scaly leg mites. i would suggest giving him a foot bath to help clean off any dirt, then give a scrub with some alcohol. if you vaseline put some of that on the feet/legs, or i have tried using cooking spray for those with feathered feet so it gets between the feathers better.

5. Sophie Mae

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    Thank you, I was not sure. Tried to find pictures just like it an I could not. It is like rock hard crusts, but the scales are not lifted, at least I can not tell if they are. I guess I will be having a indoor alarm clock for a while, how long does it take to treat?

6. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    indoor alarm clock is right! Those roos have their own built in clock!
    I have one in the downstairs bedroom (no windows) and he stills crows around 5 am!
    But you want the mites cleared up or the rest of your flock will have them. I have found that pam cooking spray works great!
    Good luck

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have four rescue ones inside now...Early (earned his name well) likes to get up at a quarter to five! I am putting vegetable oil or mineral oil on the ones I have. They are much worse than these and I have seen great improvement in a week. I am rubbing oil into the feet every day to start and now every other day. I have found that spending longer time but less frequently has made a bigger difference. Letting the oil really soak in seems to be best at loosening up the crusts. Just don't get too aggressive at picking it off as it can pull skin too and leave sores or bleed even. I am also going to put pour on ivomec on them tomorrow afternoon.
    sharon

8. Sophie Mae

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    Thanks, so far i gave him a warm soaking, he was good, rubbed his legs really good in vet ointment, kinda thick like vaseolene, i will keep him away from every one else untill cured

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Make sure you check his head also. I found that one of these had scaly leg mites on her head as well
    sharon

10. Sophie Mae

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    I checked there and all over really good when I gave him a bath, only bad place are his feet, thank goodness!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by