Icky, gross & Graphic - squeamish don't read - Can they eat this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by calicokat, Jun 9, 2010.

1. calicokat

calicokat Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    [​IMG] If you are the least bit squeamish, just back out now!

Ok, I need to know if my chooks will be ok. We lost a cat about a week ago or so. Found her (followed our nose and found him!) under the deck where we can't reach him - on Tuesday evening - and it is gross.

Then the chickens went under there and found her . . . . . . . . and they ate on him - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Guess they didn't get the memo that we don't eat things with names around here! The next morning when we let them out, yep, straight for the cat and munched on him all day. Couldn't get them OR the cat out from under there because of lattice work, and the only opening is just big enough for an animal (we have oppossums that we think live under there and didn't want to trap them in when we build the deck, gee, we were afraid they'd die under there and stink up the place [​IMG] )

By bedtime yesterday we were down to bone and things crawling around - serious [​IMG] factor - thank God he was a runt, and never did get very big!!

So, what's done is done. But will they be ok?

Will I ever be ok? [​IMG]

2. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    [​IMG] That is kinda gross, but I think your chicks should be okay.

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Yuck. They should be fine. Consider it free yard cleanup. Chickens do love meat, and I'm sure they enjoyed the maggots. [​IMG]

4. calicokat

calicokat Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    It's not kinda gross, it's over the top, having trouble looking at my girls today gross! [​IMG]

Seriously, being the grown up is really a yucky gig some days! On the plus side (and it's hard to find one in this situation!) we can enjoy the deck and pool again . . . . the smell's gone [​IMG]

5. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm sure they'll be fine... your stomach (and mine)? Not so much.

6. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Songster

Sep 22, 2009
    Just think how wonderful it will make their eggs taste? [​IMG]

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG] Your chooks should be fine.
    Are you going to collect eggs from them soon? [​IMG]

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    They will be fine, I once shot a Raccoon that got hung up in the Mulberry tree in their chicken run and when it decomposed enough to fall down, they had a feast.

9. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    [​IMG] chickens can be as gross as dogs!!! I experienced something like this, but I found mine several years ago eating one of their own kind that had died!!! Little Cannibals...so no it doesnt surprise me what yours did....they wouldnt do this if it would hurt them IMO...[​IMG]

10. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

All I have to say is...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by