Icky Question :)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I processed 3 roos this weekend and it was quite the anatomy lesson! I knew what most things were and was prepared for it, but there were 2 jellybean shaped and sized white things inside each. What was this? I thought it was testes ( [​IMG] at the size compared to bird size) but then thinking about it this morning I was thinking it was kidneys since it was attached to the back of the bird (I think). What was it? Testicles, kidneys, something else?

2. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Hmm, okay after a better google search (images) I'm pretty sure they're testicles [​IMG] [​IMG] If I had known I would have cooked them into some type of "Fear Factor" food and made someone eat them. I'm evil!

3. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    When they come attached to the grocery-store birds I just add them to all the rest of the stuff that goes into the stock pot.

It all gets strained out after its been simmered for 6-8 hours (or overnight in the crockpot), so I don't worry about it. [​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Yep, the white bean-shaped things are their testicles. They're up along the backbone, right in front of their kidneys, which are the reddish-brown smaller bean-shaped things behind them. I wouldn't eat them, but I toss them to the other live chickens circling the cutting table.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by