Icky question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WickeeChickee, Feb 1, 2015.

1. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    So my flock sometimes has the run of our backyard. Saturday, while cleaning the coop I noticed roundworms in somebody's poop. I've wormed them and they've been confined to their run ever since. BUT! Now I'm freaking out because there is most probably worm egg infested feces scattered around my yard where my kids play. Obviously I know to make them take off their outside shoes before entering the house and wash their hands as soon as they get inside. I'm just worried that with my kids being 5 and 3 they might inadvertently put their hands in their mouths before washing. Do we just need to stay out of the yard? Is there any way of ridding the yard of infested poop? Kind of freaking out!

2. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    Additionally, what do I do with the wormy poop? I usually compost the poop from the coop but then I'd have roundworms and the eggs all in the compost pile, which obviously is not really smart to put in my gardens! Seriously I'm about to light the **** yard on fire. I'm attributing the worm issue to the fact that stray cats are becoming a huge problem in our neighborhood and they sneak into our back yard from time to time. Sorry, y'all - I can deal with most gross things but worms REALLY get to me. I've scoured the threads looking for info about this less than delicate subject, but I'm not finding much. Thanks in advance for any input!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Worm eggs are everywhere in the soil, on the soil, on grass, inside insects, wild birds and other animals including dogs and cats...just like cocci. Burning the yard wont do any good lol. The worms you saw in feces are dying or will be dead, they cannot survive outside their host. Your children cant get poultry roundworms. Humans get their own types of roundworms and human roundworms cant infect chickens. In other words, they arnt zoonotic. Your children CAN get hookworms from infected dog crap if they step barefooted into a pile of dog crap.
    I have no doubt that you constantly tell your children to wash their hands after playing outside and I know you stay on them about keeping dirty hands out of their mouth...sometimes kids can get pinworms from putting dirty hands/fingers in their mouth.
    Since you live in LA, your soil is warm and moist/wet and gets alot of rain like here where I live. I strongly suggest that you worm your birds once every three months with valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer.

1 person likes this.
  4. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    Thank you for your reply! I truly appreciate you bringing some rationality into the situation! I become decidedly irrational when confronted by. ..... worms. ♡♡♡

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by