ID 2 week old chick - Welsummer, Ameraucana, or Speckled Sussex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gertie Girl Mama, May 9, 2011.

1. Gertie Girl Mama

Gertie Girl Mama New Egg

May 9, 2011
    I have pictures, but I'm a new member and so the site won't let me post any at the moment. (Sorry)

When the chick was purchased it was in the Welsummer brooder. It looked a bit different from the other chicks.
    The farmer's mother did not think it was a Welsummer and tried to compair it with other chicks she had.
    She guessed it was a Speckled Sussex. I've looked online and thought it could even be an Ameraucana.
    Can anyone provide me with insite on the differences between these three breeds??? Thanks.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Here is a picture of 3 welsummer (suspected cockerals) and one EE (marked on top). You are right, they all look VERY similar. Sussex possibly have a yellower bottom than the welsummer. If you upload your photos to a photo sharing site such as photobucket you can post your pictures here. Or else, you get picture posting rights after 10 posts. Good luck.
    [​IMG]

3. Gertie Girl Mama

Gertie Girl Mama New Egg

May 9, 2011
    Thanks so much for posting this picture! Our little girl still looks a bit different from those in your pictures. She is much lighter in color on the head and belly. She has beautiful black and brown "stripes" on her wings and I see that some are white tipped.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Here is another more recent photo of an EE (left) and a welsummer (right). You can see the feathers coming in on the welsummer.

GOod luck!
    [​IMG]

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

What color legs does your chick have? That might help, too.

Oh, and [​IMG] !!

6. Gertie Girl Mama

Gertie Girl Mama New Egg

May 9, 2011
    You all are awesome! The legs of our chick are gray. The feathering is similar to the Welsummer picture that fshinggrl posted, however the stripes on wings are more distinct. She's much lighter than both, too. (I'm telling you...I wish I could post my pictures. Doing so might solve this mystery a whole lot faster. Plus you could see my beautiful chick!!!) Oh well, keep answering and I'll keep posting until I have posted enough to show my pics! :eek:)

7. cointoss

cointoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    Hmm. if the legs are grey, I would guess an ameracauna, not sussex. But, I'm definitely not an expert, juuust got my first sussex and welsummers in the mail today! But I have had araucanas and most of them had grey or blue legs [​IMG]

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Proubly an Easter Egger,Sussexs have Pinkish legs and Welsumer have yellow legs.

9. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Quote:x2

here's some pics I found for someone else showing a pic of an easter egger and a speckled sussex:

Speckled Sussex: [​IMG]

Easter Egger:[​IMG]

These are not my images.

Note the difference in LEG COLOR, COMB SHAPE, PUFFIER FACE on the EE

10. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    What about the brown leghorns? They look just like a chipmunk too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by