1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Id Coturnix - likely mutts. - Pics

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zaylinda, Dec 7, 2009.

1. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    I have 6 quail!!! [​IMG] I'm so excited!

[​IMG]
    Quail # 1. dark brown with a few white specks along the beak.

[​IMG]
    Quail # 2. dark brown with a small white bib

[​IMG]
    Quail # 3. Dark reddish brown with white chin and chest spot.

[​IMG]
    Quail # 4. lighter brown, no white markings, the center of each feather is lighter than the edges, sold as Rosetta. Poor thing bashed it's head on the wire when it was being caught, but didn't bleed and nobody seems to be pecking him/her.

[​IMG]
    Quails # 5 & 6. On Left, #5 Dark brown with white chin and chest spot, on right #6, dark brown no white markings.

All except #4 were sold as Golden Range, but with their white markings, I'm thinking a tuxedo mix is likely?
    They were living outside, in the snow, so there was no way to tell gender. Now that I have them under a light, I cant wait to see what I got!
    Thanks for id help,
    -Zay

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    they are nice sized birds!

3. zaylinda

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Quote:They probably look bigger than they are because I have tiny lady-hands.

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    HA! Wasn't expecting that, thanks...flashback to the burger king commercial where the guy is afraid to eat there cause he's got tiny hands...lol
    The first one looks Tibetan colored. They all seem to have close to the same colors. Nice birds though!

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    All Are Tibetan Or Tibetan/light Tuxedo. Golden Range Is A European Title--- I Dont Speak European So Good, So I Cant Say If Thats What They Would Call "golden Range" Tho I Doubt It. Some Are Rossettas ( Reddish Hue)

All In All Nice Lookin Birds!

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Vent Sex Them--- Nicki Covers It Pretty Good In The Sticky Post Here At The Top Of The Forum Page!

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Wow, they are pretty. I want someone to raise those and live closer to me.
    (hehe - I'm whining again - sorry.)
    Just jealous, they are beautiful.
    I love my little boring normal colored ones, tho. They're squishy soft and so cute.
    Enjoy!

8. zaylinda

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Quote:Thanks for the ID help. The man I bought them from tried to vent sex, but since they had been living outside in the cold with no supplemental light, they were not in season and none of them showed anything. Once I hear crowing or find an egg, I'll try it again!
    -Zay

9. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    I read somewhere that Niki had posted about one of her friends sexing the tibetans/rosettas by their beaks. She said that it's not 100%, but she's had pretty good results with it. It's been true with just about all of mine.

Supposedly if they have lighter beaks, then they are females and if they are really dark then they are males. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it kind of looks like the first one would be a male if there is any truth to this technique.

Again, I don't think that it's 100%, but you'll know eventually when they start their calls [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are all tibetans, some are tuxedo (though not very well-marked), and some are dark, some rosetta. The rosettas are the ones that have yellow 'spikey' looking feathers on their backs, the darks don't have these.

Golden range is very different, if you check out my coturnix page (in my 'my pages' link to the left <---) you'll see dark tibetans, rosetta and dark tibetan tuxedos, and a golden range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by