id eggs and hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tryingmyluck, Nov 10, 2014.

1. tryingmyluck

tryingmyluck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    i have to 6 chickens all over 7 mounths they are 1 hen that is a silver lace 1 roster that is a red lace 2 murakanas and 2 sex links im getting to 2 brown eggs a day and im trying to figure out whos laying and who is not i think my one sex link is laying and no clue on the other one i know the murakans are out because they color eggs

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help

First of all, what color eggs are you getting each day? What size are they? What hens are announcing? Which hens have the reddest and largest combs? These will all help you determine who is laying and who isn't.

Good luck!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, The combs and wattles of the layers should be bigger and red, they may squat for you (kind of crouch down when you go near them), the bones in their pelvis will be wider apart usually layers will have space of three fingers or so. From your girls the two that are laying are most probably the sex links, since they will usually lay sooner than Wyandottes (and EEs), the Ameraucana/Easter Eggers should lay colored eggs, but the occasional Easter Egger will also lay brown.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

You've recieved some good advice above.

Good luck with your birds! I hope they all start laying soon.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've received some good advice from Mountain Peeps and Kelsie2290. The two sex links are definitely the most likely pullets laying as they are egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in figuring out for sure which of your hens is laying.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree with the above posters. You can usually tell who is laying by the comb, face and wattle colors. Should be full and bright red. Laying birds will squat for you when you lean over them. And of course as Mountain Peeps mentioned, the size of the eggs and the colors. Pullets lay very small eggs when they first start up.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by