ID for little ones

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by firedove, Feb 20, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I was just wondering how old your chicks have to be before you can put bandettes on them? Or if there is a better way to ID them? I have several of each variety that I ordered and I'd like a quick and easy way to tell each one apart. Thanks!

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I prefer toe punch to ID my chicks. You never have to worry about a band falling off which is a HUGE concern when you are keeping good records for your breeding programs nor do you have to worry about changing the bands as the birds grow. Plus it's really easy to ID a bird that's been toe punched once you get the hang of it.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

3. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    When DH first told me about toe punching I thought it was the most evil thing in the world. But at the time we had only a few chicks and I couldn't see buying a zillion bands for 4 little chicks. I broke down and get a toe punch. I help him do it and I still cringe about it but it really does work the best and is much cheaper then having to buy new bands everytime the chick goes up a size. However, when it came to my Marans I bought bands. I only have 4 but I couldn't handle the thought of punching their little toes and I couldn't tell the 3 girls apart to begin with. They each have their own color band. And I already bought the next size up for when they get bigger. To answer your question regarding age, I banded mine when they were about 3 days old. But only cuz it took me that long to get to the feed store and buy them. We toe punch the day the hatch or the next day but never past a day old.

5. Tailfeathers

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Just to clarify for Firedove, you don't actually "punch their toes". The tool punches out a very tiny hole in the webbing between their toes.

I sure hope that's what you were doing Kobes!

God bless,

6. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I've never seen a toe punched chicken. Mine will be at least a day old by the time I get them and I don't have a toe punch tool and wouldn't be able to get it young enough. I'm not overly concerned about bands falling off, I'm not doing this for breeding purposes, I just want to be able to tell one chick from the next until I decide who out of the bunch I will be keeping.

Do you think a pigeon sized bandette would be small enough for week old chicks? Do I need to go up one size at a time or will they be able to skip to larger bands when they are still pullets and cockerels? Thanks!

7. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    Tailfeathers-Thanks for clairfing! Guess I left that part out. Especially when I thought you put a hole in the chicks toe at first too. DH had to explain to me about the webbing. But yes we were doing it right. Actually, DH does it but he had experiance with chickens before he met me so he knew what he was doing.

Fire-You can get a toe punch tool at the feed stores. I think ours charges about $6.
    But they also have colored bands that you can purchase. I don't know anything about pigeon bands but if you have a feed store close they should be able to tell you. Also, if you look at some of the advertising banners on BYC they sell the bands and most have charts that will tell you what size you need for chicks, LF, bantams, etc.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  8. Tailfeathers

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    With regard to toe punching, there is actually a system to it. If you do a search online (and perhaps BYC) you will find a couple of charts. Only one of them is the recognized system. With the bird facing away from you, start with the left foot and the outside first. Outside is #1 and inside is #2. With the right foot, inside is #4 and outside is #8. So you can get a total of 15 from the punches. 16 if you count not punching any.

Also, I've found toe punches for $3-5 online.

God Bless,

9. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Our feed store has no chicken ID products. No toe punch, no bands. Anything I get will have to come from online and the chicks are in the mail now, should be here between tomorrow and Tuesday depending upon how well the PO handles them. I will look into the toe punch thing for farther into the future when I'm raising my own chicks, but for now I just need temporary ID for 28 chicks.

I want to get bandettes because they are numbered but the smallest size they come in (or at least that I can find) is pigeon a.k.a. size 5 or 5/16. Most places say size 4 is for baby chicks. I also found one place that actually does a bag of assorted color spiral bands that might work, but again, only down to size 5. So the question is, would a size 5 (5/16) leg band work on week old chicks?

10. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan
    For others with similar problem reading this post.

I just ordered assorted color elastic bands from ebay for day olds. They are #4 and stretchy for growing legs. Cheap price too.

Sellers items:
    http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/paintworx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by