I'd like some larger type silkie eggs so I will have some broodies :)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Pumpkinpup, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If you have some silkie eggs to sell I'd like to hear from you. I want some little "incubators" [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Silkies are bantams, no LF in that line.

3. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Actually there are LF silkies in the U.K./Europe. I think there are also a couple breeders working on it here in the U.S.A.
    Good Luck...I would check local auctions and eggbid.
    [​IMG]

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Is HatTrick one of the breeders? Some of the silkies on their site look as big as my std. size hens.

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Nope, those are bantams, the ONLY size recognized by the APA.

6. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Pumpkinpup,

I have silkie chicks from eBay eggs I bought from two different breeders and they are VERY different in size - one set is almost as big as my standard size chicks of other breeds and one set is *tiny* bantam sized.

If you like, I can look up the seller ID for the lady I got the larger ones from and you can see if she has any for sale now. I was amazed at how big they were and how different the two strains were in size!

Kelly

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks KSAcres. Must be all the fluffy stuff that makes them look bigger. [​IMG]

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I just don't want tiny little birds that can't sit more than 2 or 3 large fowl eggs. If any of you have decent sized silkies, that's what I want.
    The Monkey Mama, it would be great if you could give me the sellers ID for ebay [​IMG] Thanks.

9. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, now you have my attention. I do not have city power so I have used Broady hens. My Silkie, yes a Bantam can sit on 10 eggs. My Serama can sit on 6. It would not be 2 or 3 unless you are asking my Serama to sit on jumbo size eggs. And they will sit on them.

Good luck with what you are looking for. In 2007, my friend wanted to try out the bator she made. She had me bring over two Leghorn eggs. Well both hatched.

Roo- Black and Brown Silkie- Bantam size.
    Hen- White Leghorn.

Results...Two chicks both a speckled White. Both with Silkie heads, black skin. One had four toes, the other had five toes, but one toe was not quite formed. Both grew into Hens. One Bantam size, the other Standard Size. I named them Salt and Pepper. I gave away Salt, the Bantam size. I kept Pepper, the Standard Size. In 2008 she went Broady and she hatched just a few chicks, but I added some Feed store chicks into her group and at one time she Mothered 17 chicks. Yes, I lost some chicks because she recognized they were not hers and they got to cold. Here is a pic of Pepper with 17 little chicks underneath her.
    [​IMG]

Ok, I was gona resize the pic, but this way you can see the little legs
    Good luck to you in your hunt

10. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Pumpkinpup,

I went back and checked and the seller I bought the bigger silkies from was "eggsandyarns". Here is a link to her seller page:

http://myworld.ebay.com/eggsandyarns

She does have some silkies listed right now. The batch I bought were blue silkies and right now she has splash silkies listed, so I can't be sure they would be exactly the same size, but I hope so. [​IMG]

She has them for $19.50 buy it now for 7 eggs with free shipping. This is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Splash-Silkie...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Also, I had a 100% hatch rate with her eggs, which is really rare with shipped eggs. I am no expert on silkies [these are my first ones] but the ones I have from her seem to conform to the standard and are really super cute, just bigger than the other batch I got from a different seller.

Good luck! If you end up buying them, let me know how it works out!

Kelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by