I'd like some Tips, Hints, and Tricks from those "In the Know"!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Hoosier_RIRs, May 16, 2011.

1. Hoosier_RIRs

Hoosier_RIRs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    North-Central, Indiana
    Hi Everyone!

I'm not new to raising a backyard flock.... but I am new to making a web site! I know that some of you have some pretty great web-sites of your own (That's what has inspired me) but I think I may need some good advice, or perhaps even some constructive criticism. Please keep in mind that I'm just getting started and this isn't really my Forté [​IMG]
    For those of you that have the time and inclination..... please take a peek, then come back and let me know If I should continue this endeavour, or just give up and leave the web to the pros.

http://www.grafftek.com

Thanks in advance (even if you lambast me severely) [​IMG]

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    $1.50 / Dozen??!?!?!??!

They're all fertile eggs too! Thank god you don't live in seattle! [​IMG]

srsly though, cool site, I should find myself a web guru to make me one.

3. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,
    You did a fine job for a first website. That said, I would change a few things... and perhaps you already have these changes in mind.
    1. "My humble attempt at a webpage!" Should be more descriptive of what your web page is about. Like CHICKENS FOR SALE. or EGGS. It took me a minute to figure out that you were actually selling.
    2. The photos of the RI Reds. I think I would make them line up better. All centered or all left justified. Just my opinion.
    3. The blue background maybe should be something closer to a chicken colour, like dark red, or yellow. It just feels more "farmish". Maybe make the side bar red and the background yellow.

Just my two cents. But I've learned from doing web pages that the more you do them the better they get. Keep tweeking with it until you're happy.

4. Hoosier_RIRs

Mar 24, 2011
    North-Central, Indiana
    Thanks for the FAST replies! I seriously didn't expect to see any till tomorrow. Great ideas Shirley (and much appreciated!) I agree with all of that. And next weekend, when I'll have another chance at some tweaks as well as add the video of the Automatic coop door I'll certainly incorporate those! [​IMG]

As far as a buck fifty for fresh eggs (most of 'em fertile) around here they typically go for $2 a dozen....But I'm not in it to make any money... just pay for the feed and a bale of wood chips now and then.... but thanks Farmer_Dan! (I hear Seattle is nice this time of year!)

5. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Free range eggs go for about $5 a dozen here. Heck we pay $3 a dozen for the plastic grocery store eggs.

6. Hoosier_RIRs

Mar 24, 2011
    North-Central, Indiana
    I took the time to apply Booswalia's ideas to the main page, and WOW what a difference!! Thank you![​IMG][​IMG] I'll update the rest of the pages to match this week! I knew that I could count on ya'll for great advice! (Don't stop now!)

7. Hoosier_RIRs

Mar 24, 2011
    North-Central, Indiana
    Thanks to all that have contributed some really good ideas for me. I believe that I'm finally on the right track with this thing! [​IMG] Now I just need to keep it updated, and work in some of the fancy stuff like javascript and flash..... that's gonna take a bit, as I'm kinda self-teaching as I go! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by