I'd like to get into shooting....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...But I don't really have anyone around here that would teach me. My dad has been a police officer for almost 25 years now and doesn't really like the idea of guns, even though he has to carry one on a daily basis. He's seen a lot of evil done with weapons, so I can't really blame him. However, he doesn't really know anything about recreational shooting so he wouldn't be able to teach me anyways. I don't think he is against the idea of myself getting into the sport though.

I will be 21 next year and eligible to buy my own gun. I've been looking at some .22s as I would like to have one for use around the farm. It would definitely make getting rid of varmints much easier, as well as euthanizing our own animals. In the past my dad has used his off duty hand gun and that doesn't work as well as I rifle would. I'd also like to be able to go to a local range and participate in target shooting. I'm not sure if I would go hunting, but if I ever found someone to go with me, I might be interested in getting into that. I think goose hunting looks like a lot of fun!

Does anyone know how I might be able to get started? What kinds of classes would I need to take? I know it probably varies from state to state, but anything is a start! I'd love to attend a local gun show, but again I'd have a tough time finding someone to go with me. I could probably grab one of my friends and force them to go with me for the afternoon...

So any advice is quite welcome!

2. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    I subscribe to Americas first Freedom (and NRA magazine) and the last issue or the one before it had an article about more and more woman learning to handle fire arms. My dad is a retired police officer also, but thankfully, he introduced me to fire arm safety very early and taught me to shoot in my early teens.

That being said I don't have much good advice except to dive in, go to a gun store, where you may feel more comfortable asking questions and they may also have basic classes to help you on your way in feeling comfortable handling a fire arm. You may not be as overwhelmed at a store than a huge gun show...

If you have any questions, I'm no expert, but certainly would help if I could at all.

3. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know there are gun safety courses for any ages. I would go to a gun shop and ask them, as Blue Skys says.

Btw, I heard on the radio that there is currently a shortage of ammo, lol!

4. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    I also suggest a gun shop. If you live on a farm where you're not bothering anyone target shooting, I would go buy a cheap BB or pellet gun. I realize it's not even close to a 22 but any practice will help and BB and pellets are alot cheaper than shells. When you set up a target though, make sure there is nothing behind it that you could hurt or ruin with stray shots. [​IMG]

5. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    In Indiana I think the only thing you have to do is take hunters edd to get your liscence and everything unless you want a hand gun. I'm not so sure about owning a gun though as my dad owns mine [​IMG]

Hunting is a blast deer hunting is my fav. but my brothers and dad love goose and duck hunting. we also turkey, coyote, adn rabbit(some).

If i were you I would get a shot gun and not a .22 as you can't use a .22 goose hunting
    With a shotgun you can shoot clay pigeons and a lot more stuff, and if you ever wanna take down a big animal just put in a slug and its down

6. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    bantiesrule if you get a good pellet gun and even some cheap ones they are exactely like a .22!!! they shoot the same siz pellet as a .22 but are probably a little cheaper on the ammo.

If you are going to go that route check out cabelas as theirs are amazing!!! lol

7. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    And just some basic safety tips: (maybe you could ask your dad for safety lessons?)

Always get familiar with the saftey - they are different on all guns

Never put your finger on the trigger unless you are ready and prepared to shoot what the barrell is pointing at

Always treat a gun as though it is loaded - if you didn't just unload it, always check to be sure.

banties rule has a good point to practice with bb's or pellets, but remember they can be deadly also and should always be handled with the same respect and safety.

8. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I would recommend:

Take a Hunters safety course. They will teach you alot, around here they are $10.

Go to a gun shop, look around. Ask them stuff.

Your first gun could be a .22, that's what I would recommend. I would personally recommend a Ruger 10-22. Ask them about it at the gun shop. They are a very popular rifle, and easy to get to know. It is one of my favorites for plinking. (Shooting just for fun) Cheap ammo.

Go to NRA.com and they will have state by state rules. I think, off the top of my head, that New Jersey has some of the more complicated rules about guns, but I am not sure. That is the best resource I know, as far as guns go.

Go to a shooting range. Just tell them you are just starting out and want to know more. You will meet a lot of people who can teach you stuff, and they will probably let you try out their guns. [​IMG] Gun people are very friendly, from my experience.

9. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Quote:Just like chicken people [​IMG]

10. Lmarie

Lmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    I just turned 21, and recently got into the gun scene, and it is somewhat intimadating at first but we do it all the time and its actually alot of fun! We started out with a .22, and have even moved up to having a concealed weapon. You can take safety classes at a gun range and they can teach you everything you need to know.
    Lauren

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by