I'd like to publicly thank..........

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blondiega1, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    the inventor of puppy training pads and whoever it was I read on here that gave me the idea to use them!

Messy little things baby ducks are!
    But the puppy pads have been GREAT for easy clean up!
    I wonder how well it's going to work when Tweety and Taz are twice as big!

[​IMG]

2. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    How often do you need to change them? Do they pull at them? I'm looking for a way to give them water access without all the wood chips.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    There have been cases on here where ducklings have eaten part of a pad before.

4. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    What I've started doing is layering them. (when they get older.) So I put down puppy pad, then some shavings, the puppy pad, then some shavings. So when I pull up puppy pad off the top, the bottom is ready to go.

But as they get older you will really go through those pads. In fact, you'll wonder if it's really even worth it, rather than just scooping out the wood chips.

BTW: Cute duckies!

5. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Right now I'm doing a full change of the pads in the evening after a full day of being on them and then again in the morning after they've made a mess over night.
    And I have 2 pads under their water so if they knock it over or make a big mess with it, I can pull just that one out quick and easy.
    I hate for them to have a wet spot. Seems to be where they always want to lay!

There are wood shavings under the pads.
    So far they have not pecked or pulled at the pads.

As they get bigger, just scooping chips may be easier, but right now the pads are working GREAT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by