I'd like to see photos of adult mix breed chickens.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bantu, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Bantu

Bantu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop

I've got a mixed flock and incubating eggs at this time. So I thought I would reach out and see if anyone has black copper Marans and or gold laced Cochin mixes as adults. You are welcome to post any mixes you want to share too.

My hens are black sex link, barred rock, dark Cornish, light Brahma and Easter egger.

So I don't have any to show....yet. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    No Maran or Cochin mixes here. I've never had either of those breeds (although I want Cochins!). But we do have some very pretty mutts. There are generations of feral chickens in our neighborhood. We've caught some, they've bred with our chickens, etc. to create some very cool and unique birds.

This is McClellan. He came to us as a feral adult after his dad kicked him out of their flock. We didn't have a rooster at the time, and he fell in love with our ladies and decided to stay! He still doesn't like being held, but other than that he's gotten pretty chill with humans over the years. I think he's an Araucana mix.
    [​IMG]

Last spring, we had one of our bantam mutts "Little Brown" pop out with 16 babies!! I don't know how she did it, she was the tiniest chicken we ever had. I didn't even know she had a nest, she was that sneaky about it. We had to give her away after she had 3 more clutches without permission. If only I had wanted more babies, she'd have been perfect!
    [​IMG]

This is one of the roos from Little Brown's last clutch. Classic barnyard rooster. We have another just like him, from clutch just before, with comically huge wattles & comb. It's dark, or I'd get a pic of him too.
    [​IMG]

Another of Little Brown's multitudinous progeny, lol. This one was nicknamed Sassy. He was beautiful, but we didn't have room for so many roosters. We found him a nice home with a suburban flock of bantam ladies.
    [​IMG]

This is Princess, as a teen. She is one of our smartest and tamest. Cross between one of our mutt roos and a mom of pure but unknown breed "donated" from my cousins. Looks nothing like either parents or any of our others.
    [​IMG]

Princess as an adult, sitting on her own eggs.
    [​IMG]

These are the only two of Princess's chicks we kept (click to see it bigger). The white one is Geronimo. None of our chickens have all-white feathers, so he's a surprise. Una, the gray one, is also a surprise -she hatched with only one leg. Other than that, she looks just like her mom did as a chick. They are 3 weeks old right now.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the hugely long post, but I always jump at a chance to brag about my chickies! [​IMG]

3. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    They're absolutely beautiful. I love mix breeds. I suspect mine will be all black considering the parents. Unless Brody ( my bantam Don Juan ) is the father. Lol [​IMG]
    I lost my little bantam hen to my sisters dog.

The first photo kinda looks like a silver Leghorn except for his comb. Second Rooster is gorgeous too! Does princess have lacing on her feathers! I think mix breeds are the best!
    Thank you for sharing your chicky babies with me. :love

4. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't have any cohinXmaran mixes, but here is my silkieXeaster egger cross. Arguably one of the prettiest birds I've owned.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. chippy99th

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Thanks, Bantu! He does look a little like a Silver Leghorn roo. The only thing is, none of the ferals he descended from were that breed! [​IMG] Princess does have a little lacing on her feathers, mostly on her back. It's light colors, though, so it's hard to see. Her mother had pretty prominent gray-and-white lacing, with a pale dusty-brown tummy.

Your bantam roo Brody is adorable, by the way. So sorry about the loss of your pretty lady.

SilkiesForEver, your bird is beautiful! I love the red mixed with the green-black! He looks like you dunked him in an inkpot and only got some of it off.

6. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    Yes silkiesforever lovely baby. I thought for a second it was one of those all black chickens. The red makes a wonderful contrast to those dark feathers... Looks like he /she has eyebrows...

7. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    ]
    I can't wait to add this one to my flock... Such a sweet natured baby. Unknown breed and at this time I don't know if it's male or female. It's a medium golden red.. It set on my chest and sings softly to me while grooming.

8. chippy99th

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Aww, so cute! It's got a pretty small comb, but big legs! How old is it?

9. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    5 weeks... Someone told me New Hampshire, someone else said red broiler. :confused:
    :cd
    Suppose to be buff orphinton pullet. Lol, just going to add to my mixed flock.

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there

I have a Pekin [bantam Cochin] crossed with a Silkie .. I think she turned out pretty darn cute, albeit the noisiest gal in the flock [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by