I'd like to submit my page to "breeds."

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Anne, May 31, 2008.

1. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I notice there is already a member-submitted page on Araucanas, but they're actually Easter Eggers. How can I submit my page on Araucanas to be a member-submitted breed page?

Thanks!

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Great page!!!!! Very informative and beautiful pics. Can the other page be retitled to say Easter Eggers so there's no confusion (not that the hatcheries and feed stores aren't doing their danrdest to confuse everyone already!!)

By the way, where are these breed pages? (edited: "Duh, look at the top of the page, Seachick!!!")

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  4. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are wonderful pictures, and I so appreciate the accuracy of your information as to which birds are and which birds are not standards. The prevalence of mis-information about Ameraucanas, Auraucanas, and EE's is overwhelming.

I wonder if there is as much mis-information and confusion about any of the other breeds, and/or other birds that are as likely to be passed to us from hatcheries with the incorrect information attached????

It truly gripes me that the hatcheries (who we would want/expect to know their stuff?) actually advertise Americanas..... And the real reason it irritates me so much is that that misinformation made me stupid for such a long time....And of course I was spreading misinformation along with everyone else.....Aargh.

Sorry for the rant, and for straying a bit off topic.
    Those chickens are delicious !!!!

Susan

5. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Yes, that's the page! Thank you Nifty, I didn't think to link to it. I am so glad that it is going to be added! [​IMG]

I agree with SeaChick, it would be nice if the existing "Araucana" page was renamed "Easter Eggers." That is a good idea.

Susan, I know it is incredibly frustrating, it took me the longest time to figure it out, too! Do you think I should add some brief general info about Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers too, so that people can learn about the basic differences all on the same page?

Anyhow, I am so glad you guys like it! [​IMG]

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I looked at your page and love it. I'd have to call this one an EE even though it's hatching egg was sold to me as a pure Araucana. I knew as soon as I saw the cute fuzzy feet it wasn't an Araucana.
    [​IMG] I think I was either lied to or the hen was having an affair.
    I was going to buy some day old Araucana from a hatchery but hearing how all the hatcheries sale EEs as Araucana I won't be doing that. I'll just save up money and buy an Araucana at a show someday.

7. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Wow Angel,

What an adorable chick! I think I see small tufts, and I'll betcha he or she is rumpless, but you're right, the feathery legs indicate that there was SCANDAL in the chicken coop! [​IMG]

8. SusanJoM

Quote:I dunno that you want or need to rehash the whole subject, although I guess once a person understands that there is an issue, the issue itself is fairly simple. Still, I think maybe you might want to add a brief mention that the distinctions between the three (Auraucanas, Ameraucanas, and EE's) are laid out .....and add a few links????

I think it's a thankless and hopeless task given how deeply entrenched the misinformation is. On the other hand.....we can always try...

Susan

9. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Wow! Great page and incredible pics Anne! [​IMG] [​IMG] I think that is the first time I have seen even a picture of a TRUE Aracauna! What a farce these hatcheries are making of the breed! I would like to think their efforts are unintentionally misleading but still! How could one mistake so blatantly such a beautiful breed? [​IMG]
    Keep up the great work both in breeding and in educating us Anne!

10. SusanJoM

Quote:Aargh. Is someone going to remove that page? It's a bit embarrassing that "we" should have that sort of misinformation in a position that suggests it is authoritative. It doesn't bother me particularly when members pass misinformation amongst themselves, but it does bother me when misinformation is posted in an area that purports to be true stuff.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by