I'd love to see some pics of nestboxes (simple ideas!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Maryallison77, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I am planing to do some kind of nestboxes over the next few weeks. Any simple ideas would be GREAT!

My coop was made from a rabbit hutch that we already had. We'll be able to open up the back doors and get the eggs out. I need to get some pics of it tomorrow!! It is cute!!

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If space is at a premium , something as simple as an old plastic flower pot will be sufficient.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Or a cardboard box. My friend uses them and throws them in the compost heap when they get yucky.

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    We used old milk crates for our latest coop. We screwed them to the wall and then covered the bottoms with cardboard and filled with pine shavings. Seems to work but no eggs yet, soon very soon I hope!!

The pics don't show it but we added asmall board across the front of the boxes - I think it was a 1x2 and also a perch in front of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My first nest box (we made two like this)

[​IMG]

Here enclosed - Broody sitting on eggs:
    [​IMG]

My second nest box - built using old siding that came off the house:
    [​IMG]

My third, also used siding from the house - but made it bigger and painted it!
    [​IMG]

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    my nest boxes are 5 gallon buckets? or maybe 10... And they have a hole big enough for a chicken to climb in, other half of the top is left and then Hay/eggs etc wont fall out :}

7. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    well we wnt simple but kinda tturned out better than we thought we had some old metal shelves the former owners of our house had left here that were kinda bent and always blew around in the wind. so we got to thinking hmmmm. we had some old wood from a computer desk we tore aprt and various other scraps and put these together in about an hour or so hope it helps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

9. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    you might want to look at this older thread that's still getting a lot of traffic.

10. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Thanks for the ideas, I will share them with my husband (he's the builder--hehe)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by