iD me?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FatherRoo, Dec 13, 2013.

1. FatherRoo

FatherRoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone ID this bird? Is growing in talons like a rooster, yet refuses to crow, and is the only one old enough to lay eggs cause i've found broken egg shells in the nests too.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The photo isn't working for me.

3. FatherRoo

Dec 12, 2013
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Rooster for sure, based off of coloring (you won't see a female colored like that), comb size, and tail.

5. FatherRoo

Dec 12, 2013
    What about species? And how come he's not crowing? His talons are almost completely grown in, and we haven't heard a squeak outta him.

And I read that a hen can look like a rooster with an infection in the reproductive system or a hormonal imbalance. So could that be possible too?

6. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    That is a Roo, far as what kind not sure it has a look of BB red old english. Why it is not crowing[​IMG]I wish my roosters didn't crow[​IMG]

7. FatherRoo

Dec 12, 2013
    I'm not sure why he's not crowing. He's really small too, he's as big as a six month old chick yet he's 2 years old, back talons growing in and tail feathers are just barely looking like a roo's. He's seriously got that ONE feathers thats just starting to curl. And ever since we got him as a chick from a friend, he never got any bigger.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2. Heis definatley a rooster no doubt about it. I don't know why he is not crowing, but I dont think anyone here is going to be able to explain why is not behaving as a rooster of his age normally would . there is a chicken behavior thread

9. FatherRoo

Dec 12, 2013
    And what about his size? Cause are girls aren't old enough to lay yet, and yet we're finding eggs in the nests.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    In the picture he looks like he is a bantam rooster. Your girls are probably LF.I can tell you right now your rooster isnt the one laying the eggs. Post some pictures of face shots of your pullets and we can probably tell you who is laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by