ID my chickens! Easter eggers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emwa1988, Feb 21, 2015.

1. emwa1988

emwa1988 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    This odd looking chap and his sister were given to us as chicks following a school hatching project. I must admit I kind of like them :) We had no idea what they were,but I've done a bit of looking around and decided they must be in some part related to the araucana family due to the long necks and head shape. I think the most likely explanation is that they are Easter Eggers/Rainbow layers, I can imagine a school buying a half dozen of those due to the novelty/price and I know that they can vary a lot in terms of their appearance. I'd like to know what they are so that if I decide to hatch more or breed I know what type of eggs to get. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I used to guess what breeds were, then I started realizing how many obscure breeds there are, and how many of them are actually 'getting around' genetically speaking --- and I more or less don't bother guessing anymore LOL.

He has violet earlobes... Not sure that's an EE or Aracuana trait. While I'm not a fan of barring in general, his sickles are particularly interesting. Nice pattern and color.

The beard and muffs are generally quite dominant traits in mongrels in my experience. Not sure where he got the barring or his other traits but I think he may be a complete mix.

Best wishes.

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Might be some clues in here...
    Quote: If you scroll down this page, you'll come across 'Chickens Alphabetically By Breed' sections...
    Quote: And this has links to a few sites with lists of chicken breeds:
    Quote: Sorry I'm not more help.

Best wishes.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. emwa1988

Feb 20, 2015
    Thank you for your insight. I had a suspicion they might be a complete mixed bag. I don't know where the eggs were originally bought from though, and I can't say I have ever seen an advert for "mongrel hatching eggs" so it makes me wonder what they were sold as.

[​IMG]Easter egger rooster with beard!

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It looks like a mixed bag. There might be some Polish in there. There may have been some amateur breeding in there. I wonder what the Crele color came from. The female looks sorta like she has a sort of poof.

Very pretty birds.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are you in the UK or Australia? If so, I'm thinking they're Auacauna, or mostly so at least. Do you know if they came from blue eggs?

8. emwa1988

Feb 20, 2015
    We are in the UK. Yes, they were blue eggs. Here they are at chicks before we lost one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also found this picture which claims to be an araucana pair - They look pretty close.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  9. emwa1988

Feb 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not intimately familiar with the breed standard for UK Aracauna, but I'm thinking that's what they are. Not sure of the color on the male is an accepted color or possibly a project, or he may simply be a mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by