Id my hens breed plz thx!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by D3invertebrates, Nov 12, 2011.

1. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    Hi I have a young hen Im not sure of what breed she is, she may be mixed I really have no idea. Thx!
    [​IMG]
    Shes by far my favorite bird she has such a big personality, lately shes been making noises like a raccoon its really funny.

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Pretty mutt.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you get a full body shot incuding her legs please. from the pic i cant rally think of any pures that color so i am thinking shes a mutt

4. D3invertebrates

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ya I woulda guessed she was mixed but have any Idea with what, Im just curious.

5. Rechellef

Rechellef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    She's beautiful, and my guess would be maybe a Buff Orpington mix of some sort - perhaps with a Buckeye. I have a Buff/Golden Wyandotte pullet with somewhat similar markings, but she has a pea comb.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A pretty barnyard mix.

7. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Quote:I think she's an Orpington x Black Star (resembles that mix) ... [​IMG]

8. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    [Disclaimer: I have no idea, except what I've learned about my own --just wanted to try and help figure it out.]

She's very beautiful, whatever her lineage! [​IMG]
    How did you aquire her? Is she of your own chickens, (if so, what breeds do you have?) or did you get her from someone (maybe you could go back and ask them).
    The solid part of her coloration does look Buff. I know other breeds have buff variations besides Orpingtons, but I don't know which--this is where my disclaimer comes in!
    Something about her reminds me of my Red Comet, including your mention of her personality. but her "spreckles" look like the D'uccles I have. Maybe that part of the mix is a Wyandotte, Barred Rock, or Partridge.

Hope I have helped, and not added to the confusion. Let's see what other, more expert members weigh in with.

9. D3invertebrates

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    Thx everyone for the help! Im happy calling her an orpington mix. Most of my chickens are mixed but i can tell with what on the other ones.

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    She looks JUST like my Buff Orpington/Barred Rock cross hens. [​IMG]

In fact my brother just asked me "Isn't that one of your chickens?" [​IMG]

Your hen is very pretty! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by