ID of bantam chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TexasChick09, Mar 19, 2012.

1. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    Not a great photo as I took it with my phone. He/she is a very tiny chick, smaller than my Cochin bantam chicks. He is about the same size, maybe a tad smaller, than my silver Sebright chicks. Any ideas on identification?

[​IMG]

2. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    Wanted to add that I bought him/her from TSC because I felt sorry for them. =( Anyway, I can't find anything on the web that says what breeds of bantams they sell in their assorted, so that's why I was asking. Thanks.

3. PrettyCoy

PrettyCoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Totally wild guesses, but maybe Black Sumatra or Black Japanese?

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    if its got a straight comb its not a banty sumatra

5. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Maybe check what hatcheries your TSC gets it's chicks from. That how I try to limit the possibilities of what my feedstore mysteries where.

6. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    Oh that's a good idea. I'm guessing someone working in the store could tell me which hatchery? (Granted this is a big assumption as my local TSC people never know anything. I was literally told "We sell dog food?" when I asked if they had anymore salmon and sweet potato dog food..lol)

I'm pretty sure it's straight-combed, black feet and beak, light spot under neck and bum. Very brazen guy. He pushes right up into the full grown chicks and takes no prisoners when he's ready to eat..lol.

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    holy crap that's cute! Is the adult chicken in the picture the adopted mommy?

8. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I had one like him/her last year and got her for the same reason. Titan is a blackish blue with white lacing on her neck feathers and was so tiny as a chick and is still a very small hen and from what I've been able to research she's an OEGB i'm just not sure what her color she's called techincally

9. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    Thanks! Suz, do you have any photos of your chick as an adult? I would love to see one if you do.

Yes, that is adopted momma, a Buff Orpington. She hatched 7 chicks and I picked up 7 bantams from TSC. Two of the silver Sebrights didn't make it, so she has 6 full sized chicks, 1 that is between full-sized and bantam, and 5 bantams (Mottled Cochin, Buff Cochin, Silver Sebright, this guy and another black one that is larger and colored like a barred rock chick).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by