ID Our newest addition (S)he was a gift, we have no idea

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Meaty, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Meaty

Meaty New Egg

Jul 3, 2008
    We were given this little raven last week. We have no history, no age, no breed. Any help would be appreciated. She is similar to our Barred Rock, but the color spotting is different.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Black Australorp, looks to be about 5 days old I would say. Very pretty!

3. Meaty

Meaty New Egg

Jul 3, 2008
    Thanks!!!

We've had him/her for almost a week now, had some feathers when we first got it, poor thing spent most of a day being moved around in cars.....What are the gender 'signs' to look for on this one?

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Oh, if it's an Australorp, it will be big and fluffy and friendly, most likely! What a nice gift! [​IMG]

5. Meaty

Meaty New Egg

Jul 3, 2008
    Are Australorps sex-linked?

6. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    No they are not sex-linked...but some say the dark lines down the legs mean Pullet? Not sure how accurate that is though, sexing I believe is the same as any, wait and see if the comb grows faster then normal and watch for some wattle development!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

say the dark lines down the legs mean Pullet

Never heard that about Australorps. A very dark wash down the leg fronts usually means pullet in the Barred Rocks, though, in conjunction with a couple other traits.​

8. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Just something the great-grandparents used to say, along with the Barred breeds.

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    You will be able to tell if it's a boy or girl by around 5 weeks old if it is an Australorp. And, it does look like one.

I've got pictures at five weeks that clearly shows the difference in male vs. female.

10. Meaty

Meaty New Egg

Jul 3, 2008
    Thanks for all the help, I'll be back then with some more pics. Isn't the internet wonderful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by