ID these hens breed/s?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Treegod, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Treegod

Treegod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Catalonia, Spain
    These are the smallest of our flock, so bantams?

They lay small eggs that tend to be "rocket" shaped, thin and pointy.

This is Spike:

[​IMG]

And this is Skylark, with Spike and Tetley in the back ground:

[​IMG]

Thank you [​IMG]

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i think they are Zwerg-Sulmtaler, sorry i only know the german name [​IMG] i can see slight white earlobes?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    The hens remind me of my Pyncheons in a way...single combs and smaller crests/tassels...Pyncheons have red earlobes, willow legs and Mille Fleur color....[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look like Silkie crosses--that crest always pops up and I've had some of those. The rooster is an Easter Egger rooster.

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I was thinking silkie cross as well, but I can't tell if they have feathering on their legs. If they don't then they are possibly crossed with Polish Bantams.

6. Treegod

Sep 7, 2009
    Catalonia, Spain
    "Pyncheons have red earlobes, willow legs and Mille Fleur color"

Definitley not Pyncheons, since that have white earlobes and are not Mille Fleur. But the image does look very similar, if not for those details.

Not sure about the legs, I don't know what willow legs are (another thing to look up and learn [​IMG] ) Spike has grey legs and Skylark's are brown. They don't have feather on them, but they do have scaly leg mite which they shared with the rest of the flock (before I knew anything about that!!!), which I've managed to keep a control of, just. So Polish Bantum x they could well be (just seen the pictures, outrageous hair styles! lol).

Just looked up Zwerg-Sulmtaler, I can see the resemblance, especially with Spike's colouring. "Wheaten" isn't it? Although Spike is a lot thinner than a Zwerg-Sulmtaler (and I'll try to find that one out in English or Spanish for where I live)

Does anyone know the description for Skylark (the brown's) colouring?

And yes the cockerel above is most definitely an EE. I have his mother, sister and daughter and they're all EEs.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The crested hen is a Polish cross, not Silkie cross. She's got the egg shape, the crest, the pale skin, four toes, slate legs, and the comb/body type to go with it.

The cockerel is an EE or an American Game cross.

The other little pullet next to him looks like a Polish X Game, which is likely what the first girl is too.

8. Treegod

Sep 7, 2009
    Catalonia, Spain
    We got the two hens at the same time from the same place. Which is why I've put them together (the rooster just happens to be standing in one of the better pictures of them lol), I thought it was likely they'd have the same sort of breeding.

Took another look at Spike tonight and this "Zwerg-Sulmtaler" and she does have a strong resemblence.

Some people on a Spanish message board said the cockerel may have some "combatiente" in it, which I thing is the equivalent of anything "game" in English. Combatiente ingl├ęs antiguo is, I think, Old English Game. The colouring of a cockerel of this breed I have in a book looks very similar. He definitely has the EE gene too.

9. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    does your roo look a bit like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what kind of comb does your roo have? it looks like a butternut comb from here?

10. Treegod

Sep 7, 2009
    Catalonia, Spain
    He has very similar colours with a few differences. There's a green sheen stripe across his wings and his chest feathers are dark.

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of his comb. I think it's a pea comb, as all EEs have.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by