Id this breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lullabyloo, Apr 6, 2012.

1. lullabyloo

lullabyloo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Can anyone tell me what breed this rooster is? I pick him up as a colored easter chick at a local feed store several years ago. He turned out to be extremely aggressive. Attacking my kids, pets, family, and friends. I had two of them and both were equally evil. We gave them to a neighbor who had trouble with foxes killing his last chickens. They ended up getting killed crossing the road trying to come back. [​IMG] I'm really curious to know what breed he was.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    He doesn't look like an Easter Egger due to the leg color. I'm not sure...maybe Deleware?

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    barred sex link

4. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Deleware

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the yellowing in the saddles and hackles indacate a red sex link to me

6. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    I'd say it's a Star.

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    its a delaware

8. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    I also say Delaware!

9. wildcat chix

wildcat chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Barbourville, Kentucky

By 'colored easter chick', do you mean he was dyed with some sort of color?

Being that you got him at a local feed store, he was probably supplied by a local farm. Last year we went to a farm and picked up 10 chicks. The guy had large black, barred, red, and white chickens.

As they grew, the white ones all showed the same type of coloring and patterning as yours, to a degree - some had more red in their wings some had fewer barred feathers, but all had the same characteristics as yours.

in my opinion, you have (had) a red sex link rooster - back in his family tree, one of his great grandparents ran around with some black sex links and he ended up with some of the barred feathers too. The red sex link roo we still have does have a few barred feathers. I do love the red barring (crele) neck feathers on yours. He was a unique looking bird. Too bad he was aggressive.

Just curious, how big was he? Ours is a year old now and is one of the biggest chickens I've ever seen.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    It is a Delaware that has eaten a lot of corn. That causes the white to yellow. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by