ID this chick please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HazelCMAS, Feb 6, 2013.

1. HazelCMAS

HazelCMAS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Long Beach, MS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what kind of chick is in my photo? It came from a feed store and was in the "assorted crested" bin. It's legs are yellow and it has 4 toes. I have 4 that I know are Polish (GLP, SLP) and this one looks similar but the crest is shaped differently and also it's neck seems shorter. I looked up pics of chicks for each kind of Polish chicken at Cackle Hatchery (just because they show actual pics of grown birds and chicks for each variety they sell) and this little thing doesn't look like any of them. HELP! My curiosity is getting the best of me! If you have a guess on gender I'd like to hear it..its only 2 weeks old so I'm not expecting exact science. LOL

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. HazelCMAS

Jan 24, 2013
    Long Beach, MS
    there are more pics of this chick posted in my album if you'd like to look. TIA

3. HazelCMAS

Jan 24, 2013
    Long Beach, MS
    This post has gotten lots of views but no replies. Bumping this post in case someone wants to give me a guess.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks alot like a Polish to me. If you posted a picture to the thread you'd probably get more replies. I'm viewing from BYCs mobile website, and I cannot look at your album on mobile.....
    Nikki

5. HazelCMAS

Jan 24, 2013
    Long Beach, MS
    Thanks Nikki. I added the photos to the iniatial post. Lets see what happens now. It does look a lot like the polish to me too, it is the coloring that is mostly throwing me off. The crest is also a different shape than the other polish I have, more of a crew cut vs a mushroomy tuft. I suppose it could be a mix of colors, like buff laced x golden laced. It seems to have pale beige tipped wings along with the gold and black. It's fun watching it change almost daily tho.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It could also be a red Polish. I got a batch of packing peanuts with a hatchery order last year (production reds), they feathered in like that at first. Then when they went thru their second juvenile moult those barred looking feathers came out and were replaced with lovely mahogany colored ones...
    Nikki

7. HazelCMAS

Jan 24, 2013
    Long Beach, MS
    That sounds beautiful! How many juvenile molts does a chick go through? and how old are they when it begins?

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I'm guessing some type of Polish, not sure what type though...

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like a red polish roo most my crew cut baby polish turn into roos

10. HazelCMAS

Jan 24, 2013
    Long Beach, MS
    I am not surprised that you guessed roo. He sure acts like one. Today I caught him chest bumping another suspected roo(SLP) and the poses they had against each other looked like pics one sees of a cock fight. Feathers raised and non-existant(yet) spurs at the ready. These chicks are just over 2 weeks old and I didn't expect to see that kind of behavior so soon. I am afraid that out of my 6 Polish chicks, 4 or 5 are males. If behavior is a huge indicator at this age, I'm going to have to rehome a few birds. I'd like to keep this red one though...I think he's a beauty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by