ID this Fat Bunny?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by punk-a-doodle, Aug 9, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Ended up with an unexpected birthday present. I had been pining over a beautiful and sweet neutered blue buck at the local shelter. He was still there two weeks later, and my husband said, "go ask about him up front". I didn't know what he meant until he asked for the adoption papers.

This guy is grossly overweight (he has fat wrinkles around his ankles and a little dewlap looking double chin going..ribs are non-existent), so it's diet time for him. He has the most beautiful light grey eyes I've ever seen (didn't show up too well in the photos), which instantly made me think New Zealand because of the distinctive look of the eye for that breed...but he has ears that flop? I'd say he'd be about 7-8 pounds if at a healthy weight, but I'm not sure. He goes limp when you hold or scratch him, and will nip you if you stop before he's ready (will have to train that one out...). He's super docile, and a total lap bunny though, and is obviously used to being handled and picked up. He came litterbox trained, which is awesome. Actually held it while we set his crate up, and then ran to the litter box to use it. He has a tattoo in his left ear, looks like a 2 or a Z, but it isn't the easiest to see. What say the bunny experts?

PS. Mix is fine with me. That's what I assumed he was til we got him home and saw the ear tattoo. Just curious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Looks like a holland lop to me with ears that are a fault. Helicopter ears.

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Way to big for a holland lop 7-8 pounds is closer to Mini- lop I think. Our Holland lops only weighed about 4 pounds tops.
    Looks like a lop mix. He is adorable though. What's his name?

4. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    He's either a holland or mini lop mix.

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for the help guys! I'll get a firm weight on him this week as I'm not great at gestimating. The lops are the breeds I am least familiar with in rabbits by far. Helicopter ears have to be the cutest. Fault. Ever. XD

Bossynbella: I just adopted him last night, so no name yet. He came with the name "Thumper", but that definitely wouldn't fit in with our weird assortment of pet names!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I missed reading the weight earlier. If it is over 4 lbs, it's a mini lop, under 4, holland lop.

7. bobwhitelover

bobwhitelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    What about a Rex x Holland lop? They are called plush lops and sorta look like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by