Ida chickens

Duhonmommie

Chirping
Mar 10, 2021
Louisiana
After hurricane Ida came through, three new chickens showed up at my home. I know where they came from. But don't know the owner. They don't exactly live near the coop where they had their chickens. Their coop has a tree limb on it and I don't see any other chickens.

These chickens have been hanging out in my goat yard near my coop. I've let them free range. Have fed them. And collected their eggs. I've posted about them on Nextdoor and FB. No one has come forward claiming them. At what point is it safe to add them to my flock? Allow them into the run, etc? Ida blew threw on August 29.

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
I know where they came from. But don't know the owner. They don't exactly live near the coop where they had their chickens. Their coop has a tree limb on it and I don't see any other chickens.
What? You know where they came from, but don't know the owner - so you know which house?
Go over there and tell them you have their chickens. Ask if they want them, if they do then great! If they don't, then great!

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
I know where the coop is. The coop is not near a house, so I don't know who the owner is.
Look up the piece of property the coop is on, on your county's website. Probably in the accessor's or tax collector's section (GIS mapping or similar). You may be able to find the name of the property owner, address, etc.
Or that's what I would do. Once I exhausted that avenue and was unable to make contact somehow, then I would keep the birds.

I understand you posted on nextdoor and fb, but tons of people don't even use those, do some actual legwork.

Happy hen lover

Crowing
Jan 14, 2021
SW Nebraska
Pin a note on the coop with your contact information, and let them know you're willing to take them in if they don't want/can't keep the chickens?
Love that idea, then they're free to choose and if they're worried you just gave them peace. That's what I would want someone to do for me. There's pbly people that rehomed themselves due to electric outages. I know one couple that aren't going back.

Top Bottom