Idaho-NPIP certification

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CDennis, Jan 20, 2011.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Anyone on here in Idaho who have gone through the NPIP certification process? I have read the Idaho website information and I placed an email to the person listed (but have not heard back). It seems like some states are more difficult than others. I would love some pointers and I am interested in getting NPIP certified but only if its reasonable. Chickens are not my full time business...at least not yet!

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I would like to know to! I also emaild the idaho derector and it was returned to me...

3. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:I emailed the second name on the list (you must have emailed the first!), I thought maybe the second one would get less emails and might be quicker to respond..but maybe I was wrong....

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Get in touch with your county extention office. The agricultural office should be able to help. I could call and talk to someone. Forget about emails.

5. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    It costs something like 90.00 for the supplies and then somebody will come out and help you draw blood on your birds & send the tests in.

6. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Here is a start from the state if anyone is interested in having a little more detail.

HI. and Thanks for your inquiry!

Please check our website at www.agri.idaho.gov On the left side, click Animals> Animal Health Lab> NPIP. There is a lot of information here regarding the USDA National Poultry Improvement Plan program that we administer in Idaho.

Unless you are selling live birds or hatching eggs, you don’t need to worry about it. If you wish to sell live birds or hatching eggs later, then purchase your birds from NPIP participants in any state. A local NPIP chicken breeder with many breeds to choose from: Dunlap Hatchery on the Nampa-Caldwell Blvd.

If you want to start breeding birds or hatching eggs, then we should sign you up for NPIP…mainly to watch for (test & monitor) Salmonella. So the NPIP program is mainly about bird health.

If you wish to sell table eggs from these birds, you may do so from your premises (where the birds are kept) IF you have fewer than 300 hens. This is not in the NPIP, but the Idaho Egg rules adopted from USDA and FDA which require grading of commercial eggs. If you have fewer than 300 hens, you may sell ungraded eggs at a retail establishment if the box is clearly marked UNGRADED EGGS and your name, address & phone number is on the box. Per Idaho public health rules, only graded eggs may be used in restaurants.

Please contact us again if you have more questions.

7. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Thank you so much for posting this information! I am interested in becoming NPIP certified also! I will let you know if I can get it done!

8. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Dup. message

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  9. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:I got another reply, its free. But you have to buy the testing equipment and I haven't had a chance to determine the cost there. If I find out I'll let everyone know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by