1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Idea for easy maintenance coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bullitt, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I had an idea for a coop that would be easy to maintain.

The coop would be raised off the ground about 2 feet and have a bottom that is hardware cloth. This would prevent predators from getting into the coop and allow most of the droppings to fall on the ground. Once in a while an old broom could be used to sweep off the hardware cloth.

Around the coop would be skirting that could be made of wood or other materials to block air in cold weather. On at least two sides the skirting would be able to be folded up to allow droppings to be raked up for the compost pile, garden, or to be thrown away. This would also allow more air flow in hot weather.

This coop would not be good for chicks, but would work well for grown chickens.

Any thoughts on this idea? Has someone built a similar chicken coop?

2. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    I think it would be a nightmare trying to clean the poop off the hardware cloth. I don't think it will just sweep through.

3. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Here is a video of a chicken coop built on a trailer with a wire bottom to allow droppings to fall through.

1 person likes this.
  4. Primo

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Not trying to "poop" on your idea. Seeing the size of some of the dumps my birds take, I just don't think it will fall through hardware cloth and will instead stick to it., creating even smaller openings.

5. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Right. That is where the broom would come in.

Did you watch the video?

6. Primo

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Alright, that guy is using expanded metal, not hardware cloth. Here is my prediction with that: some of the droppings will fall through, the rest will stick. Since expanded metal is rigid, you then will have to periodically scrape the floor to get the rest out.

7. Primo

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    You could always make a temporary hardware cloth screen and set it under your current roost and "test" how this might work for you.

8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Probably. But I would use hardware cloth that has 1/2-inch openings. I think a good amount of the droppings would fall through. A broom would be used occasionally to sweep off the hardware cloth.

9. Primo

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Give it a try , but my gut tells my you will be disappointed with the results. My birds free range and spend little time in the coop, so most of the poop is only right under the roost. In my situation, I might try something like your idea but only under the roost and with wire that had larger openings (maybe 1 inch?)

10. Bitterroot

Bitterroot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Montana
    I've seen some that have been the size of a giant breakfast muffin. [​IMG] I don't think a broom would cut it for those. I'm thinking snow shovel and fire hose.

Fantastic idea though, just need to tweak it a bit. Who wouldn't love an easy-cleaning coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by