ideal 236 laying hens dying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken stir fry, Jul 24, 2010.

1. chicken stir fry

chicken stir fry New Egg

Feb 28, 2010
    Ideal 236 leghorns just starting to lay. Appears like they are dying in the laying process although I'm not sure. No distended abdomen/guts present, but dead birds all have large openings where the eggs normally come from. Got them from chicks (fed chick starter), then transitioned to all purpose feed and slowly transitioning to all purpose/egg laying feed since they have begun laying. Have used this feed method for all my RIR many times with no problems. Do leghorns need a different feed regiment? Eggs are tiny right now cause they have just started to lay, so don't understand the problem. I'm thinking of just killing them all before they all die anyway. Have lost 4 birds so far. I'm in Hawaii, so we don't have any predators per se other than dogs, cats, mongoose; however, none of those things have ever bothered adult birds before and my chickens are enclosed in a wire enclosure. All my other 40+ RIR adults and 40+ RIR juveniles (starting to lay as well, with no problems) are doing just fine. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Gosh, I don't know - if you have the stomach for it, cut one open and see what's going on with the reproductive tract... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by