Ideal .99 Bantam Assortment Special Review **NEW PICS**

GothChick

Songster
13 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Wisconsin
Hi everyone,

I got my chick order this morning and wanted to let everyone know my experience and thoughts. I ordered the special that Ideal has running for the month of October. It includes 25 or more assorted st. run bantam chicks for only .99 a chick! My total for everything came to $35.50, this included $24.75 for 25 chicks, small order charge of $7, and an air mail charge of $3.75.

I placed the order on October 9th, I was sent an e-mail letting me know that my shipping date would be October 13th. On October 12th I was sent an e-mail saying my order was shipping and I got my chicks early morning on October 14th.

All chicks arrived alive and happy and I got a GREAT assortment. I believe they included 27 chicks total but that was just a rough count. I will take picture soon so everyone can see the variety and get the exact number. I will also keep this thread updated to let everyone know how they are all turning out and if any die. Hope you enjoy and I will get a picture update soon, I just wanted to make sure the chicks had time to eat and drink before I started taking pictures of them.

Last edited:
My 25 bantam Special was delivered on October 21st, 2 days after they hatched.

Ideal shipped 26, but 2 of the silkies did not survive the journey.
hit.gif

By the time they were three weeks old, it was obvious we had several troublemakers among the group, most of which I suspect were roosters!

So, the first to go do not have pictures. I put an ad on Craigslist and sold the troublemakers for $5 each! This paid for the whole batch!
ya.gif

I got:

1. Barred Cochin - Everytime I would put my hand in to get a feeder, this little pecker would bite me!
somad.gif

2. White Silkie - Troublemaker/ fighter!
D.gif

3. Buff Silkie - Troublemaker.
ya.gif

4. Red Frizzle - cute, but...
idunno.gif

5 & 6 Silver Seabrights - Now I know I don't ever want to own seabrights - tiny little flighty troublemakers!
smack.gif

The ones I kept are:

7. White Silkie - slightly smaller than #2 and much quieter - we like quiet chickens!
love.gif
70082_white_silkie.jpg

8. Partridge Silkie or may be Red Silkie - Nice quiet little girl that eats constantly!
pop.gif
70082_partridge_silkie.jpg

9 & 10 Buff Silkies - UPDATE - BOTH OF THESE HAVE HUGE COMBS! I suspect both of them are roosters! They both have been very slow to feather out, the other buff silkie looked nothing like these, it was WAY ahead of these two that still look like chicks!
70082_buff_silkie_1.jpg
70082_buff_silkie_2.jpg

11. Old English Game or maybe Dutch - Ideal has SO many varieties of these that look alike, but they are cute little chipmunky things. This one is a rooster.
70082_oegb_dutch_roo.jpg

12, 13 & 14 O.E.G. or Dutch Girls - These little girls are FAST and impossible to tell apart, so I took a picture of one of the three.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
70082_p1020967.jpg

15. Black Tailed Buff Japanese - This little fighter is gone! I named him "gift with purchase", and gave him to the nice lady who bought some pullets and picked them up a week later! I just handed her the box and said "I put an extra in there for you, HIS name is gift with purchase!"
yippiechickie.gif
70082_buff_japanese.jpg

16. Grey Japanese - Suspected rooster, but quiet and well-mannered. We like quiet!
70082_p1020985.jpg

17 & 18 Black Japanese - both quiet little girls that always look kinda ratty.
70082_2_black_japanese_pullets.jpg

19. My guess is Blue Cornish - She is a greyish blue color and built like a TANK!
70082_p1020972.jpg

20. My guess is a White Cornish - Similar shape to #19, but smaller.
70082_white_pullet_bluff.jpg

21. Dark Cornish - not sure about the white breast, but that may fade over time. Curious, well-behaved little girl.
70082_gold_laced_wyandotte_pullet.jpg

22. White Cochin - Lovely little Pullet, constantly preening!
70082_white_cochin.jpg

23. Golden Laced or Partridge Cochin - Nice plump little girl, quiet and ladylike!
70082_gold_laced_cochin.jpg

24. Silver Laced or Penciled Cochin - Scamp; Cute little fella, always into something, but manages to look cute doing just about anything!
70082_scamp_silver_laced_cochin.jpg

So, there you have my Ideal Bantam Special. I certainly have no intent of breeding bantams, if I did I would not buy hatchery stock. I just wanted a few around to entertain me and my family. I have watched these guys for days on end!

I actually found BYC because I googled "Ideal Bantam Special", because I was curious what other customers had gotten, so I would know what to expect.

Ideal poultry is the greatest hatchery!
thumbsup.gif
They offer great bargains, yet they still take the time to provide a good mix of high-quality chicks!

Last edited:
Ok so I counted and have 26 chicks total so 1 free chick. I have pics of the different types with some information on leg color and such. So lets start the guessing game! Click to see the pics larger.

Here is a group picture

I got 5 total white or buff silkies, 2 bearded and 3 non-bearded

2 Bearded Silkie

3 non-bearded

I'm guessing a patridge or red silkie

Little light yellow chick with pink feathered legs

3 yellow and grey chicks with feathered pink legs

2 multi-colored chicks with cute red faces

3 black and yellow chicks

This is my favorite chick, its such a pretty blue colored chick with slate colored legs and beak

Dark grey and yellow feather footed chick

Black and yellow feather footed chick

Reddish feather footed chick

2 chipmunks with blue/grey legs

2 chipmunks with pink legs

Reddish chick with pink legs

Quote:
I updated a couple things above - I gave the buff Japanese away and I fear both of the buff silkies are roosters.

I have moved them out of the brooder (kiddie wading pool) in anticipation of 27 pullet chicks arriving this week from Ideal.

I put the majority in an unused chicken house - They have 9' x 4' filled with leaves from raking the yard and pine shavings and a heat lamp and a red flood light. They are happy and healthy and have been there a week.

The 2 black japanese hens and the 4 OEG or Dutch are still much smaller and were getting picked on and stepped on, so those 6 reside in a large cage in my garage. They have it good in the "Chicken Hilton", but may get moved out with the others when the babies arrive - 4 groups to feed and water MIGHT be pushing it!

70082_mms_picture_2.jpg

Little light yellow chick with pink feathered legs

3 yellow and grey chicks with feathered pink legs

These are cochins. Either white or buff... And the yellow and grey look like columbian cochins

2 multi-colored chicks with cute red faces

These look like golden sebrights

Black and yellow feather footed chick

This is a back cochin

Reddish feather footed chick

I think this is a red cochin, but might be a partridge cochin

The greyish feather footed looks like a blue cochin

2 chipmunks with pink legs

These look like silver duckwing old english

The other pictures Im not real sure..... Sorry. Let them get some age on them and repost pics.​

Last edited:
Yea they are sooo cute. I am falling in love with the little blue/grey chick with the black beak and legs. I have no idea what it is but it is so cute and loves being held.

I think the little blue chick is a Self Blue Old English. I have some of those. They are so friendly. One, that is a rooster, loves to cuddle with me.

Looks like you have
2 white bearded silkies
3 White Non Bearded Silkies
1 Partridge Silkie
white or buff Cochin
3 Might be Lavender or splash Cochin
2 either mille old english or Gold Seabright
Not sure with the Black and whites
Self Blue Old english
guessing Blue Cochin
Black cochin
Might be red or partridge cochin