Ideal Ameraucana curled toe pics.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pozarnsk, Jan 9, 2009.

1. pozarnsk

pozarnsk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    This is a follow-up from yesterday. Got these Ameraucanas from Ideal poultry about 3 month ago.........what do I do with them????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have the same question. I have some true ameraucana and 1 true aruacana with this. I thought it was from when they ran over the feeder when something scared them and they broke their toes, but I really don't know [​IMG] . Hopefully someone knows....

edited to say that mine hatched with normal feet..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    It was an incubation issue. Temp or humidity, do not remember which. Or I suppose it could be a nutritional one, but seeing they are all the same age, they probably came from the same incubator and that there was an issue that made them all turn out like that. I have one true Ameraucana that I hatched that has a crooked middle toe, and one silkie like that. Its hard to say.

Some people think its genetic, I do not.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The Chicken Health Handbook says it is caused by low incubation humidity or a cold brooder floor. It can also be heriditary.

5. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I've got several Silkies and one Leghorn roo that I got from Privett last winter with toes like this except worse. A couple of the Silkies are curled and theres no space between the toes just tissue. They get around fine though.

6. pozarnsk

pozarnsk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    Yeah I sent the pics to Ideal and they didn't offer any refunds or anything. I'm not going to push it. As long as they give me my blue/green eggs I'll be happy.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

What you got are Easter Eggers (EE's), not Ameraucanas. For information on Ameraucanas, see www.ameraucana.org . The willow green shank color is a dead give away as is the coloration of the bird.

As for what to do about the birds with crooked toes, nothing to do. Use them how you wish. I wouldn't breed them but if you like their eggs, keep 'em and enjoy them.

God Bless,

8. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    It can also be a nutritional issue with the breeder birds. So, incubation conditions may have been fine, but the mother(s) especially may have been lacking certain vitamins when they laid the eggs.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  9. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

could be the chicken version of rickets (deficiency of vitamin d)
    www.thepoultrysite.com has really good disease/ condition info. not necessarily from the parents.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a hen with this.. she is a red star. Feet looked normal when she was young. I think she hurt them flying off our high roosts early on.... just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by