Ideal Bantam Special - guess the breeds/colors!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunHwaKwon, Sep 24, 2016.

1. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I received 18 of the bantam special chicks yesterday. Some I am fairly certain of and others not. I thought I would get a lot of duplicates but almost every one is unique! I won't even try to guess on the yellows and whites yet. Feather legs are all cochin bantams except one brahma, I'm pretty sure, and the clean legged could be Japanese, Old English Game, or Sebright bantams, as I think that's all they are hatching this time of year.

1. ??? Japanese or Old English Game Bantam

[​IMG]

2. Blue Old English Game Bantam

[​IMG]

3. Blue Cochin Bantam

[​IMG]

4. Old English Game Bantam - color TBD since many start out this way

[​IMG]

5. same as above

[​IMG]

6. Mottled Cochin Bantam

[​IMG]

7. Red Cochin Bantam

[​IMG]

8. Japanese?

[​IMG]

9. Another Mottled Cochin Bantam?

[​IMG]

10. Black Cochin Bantam

.[​IMG]

11. Light Brahma Bantam

[​IMG]

12. Old English Game Bantam

[​IMG]

13. Golden Laced Cochin Bantam

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. This one has a very pretty light blue tint, less silvery than #1 (and lighter legs, too).

[​IMG]

16. Fingers crossed one of the following two or #14 is a black tailed buff japanese bantam!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Golden Laced Sebright? It has chipmunk stripes on its back. I might need to tape the toes.

[​IMG]

I will post updated pics around day 10.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    At this point, it really is "a guessing game." It's best to wait till they have feathered out (around 6-8 weeks).

3. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Oh, I know. I am not new to chicks, by any means. These are being added to my flock of 40 or so (I try not to count) chickens + 16 guineas + 2 turkeys lol. I just thought it would be fun for some people to guess and follow along to see if they are right, or for people to reference in the future. There are really only a few options for breed, given what Ideal is hatching this time of year, but the colors will be a surprise with some. I am very happy with what I was sent, though I have already listed a few of the Cochins for sale as I'm not really "into" them. They don't seem like they'd be very predator resistant. I do brood outdoors so my chicks tend to feather out faster than "6-8" weeks.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I think you got darn close, only one I'd vote differently on is 12 looks like a Rhode Island Red bantam to me. But its to early to tell for 100% certainty.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your chicks are just darling, could eat them up with a spoon. I think your determinations on right on target. Aw I think the cochins are adorable, I never realized how many colors they come in.

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I did some more looking last night and think you're right, which is surprising because it says the bantam RIRs aren't available until 2017!

7. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I lost #18 and #2 last night. I was not surprised about #18 because it was small and weak.

8. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Awwwww. Sorry to hear that! You are definitely going to have a colourful backyard

9. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The cochins are super cute! I really wanted a mottled one and I'll keep the blue one as well if it's a girl. Heck, I may end up keeping any and all of the bunch that are female (I have 16 males right now - which is 12 too many - and can't add anymore). It's so hard to choose who to sell at this point so if I do sell any it won't be until November or so.

10. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    #1 suddenly passed today. I was talking to the person who has the other 12 from the order and she only has 3 still alive! I am bummed that I lost both of what we're likely self blue oegb's but hoping they'll send replacements and I'll get another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by