Ideal Bantams

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Sword, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Anyone here order bantams from Ideal? How are their survival rates? Do they lay well? Do they look good(I have heard that their silkies are kinda ugly)? I'm particularly interested in D'uccles, OEGB, Orpingtons, and Leghorn bantams.

2. shanyalv

shanyalv Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2010
    I got two batches of them and sad to say that they did not fare very well. I had HIGH mortality rates however they did credit my order back and I purchased other chicks. The Silkies are pretty ugly. I have pics somewhere that I can send.

3. Sword

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    When did you order them? How many and what breeds were they? Do you know if any of the silkie colors look better than others?

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Most bantams from any hatcheries ....will not be near what most show bantam look. They get their eggs from large flocks of males and hens all running together.

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I would go with Cackle Hatchery cause it seems like they are the only decent hatchery around anymore.

Just my .02

6. Sword

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Looks don't matter too much to me. It'd be nice if they looked good, but they are just going to be egg laying pets, and I'll end up loving them even if they are ugly little vultures. I'm mainly concerned about mortality rates. My plan is to order 25 (going to sell extras) in April, so they don't get too shaken up or exposed to extreme temperatures.

7. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:From what I heard from some people is that they die when you get them or in shipping and others said there's died when 1-2 years of age.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have a TSC nearby? I believe you can order bantams through them. Prices will be higher than direct from a hatchery, but you are guaranteed live chicks.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Marti's Hatchery seems to be the best hatchery of EE bantams I've had. I love the assorted colors they have, mostly blue or blue wheaten colors which are pretty wild looking. Some looked like crossed with BLGW bantams. That was more than four years ago I've had them.

Ideal Hatchery's EE bantams were alright but a little larger than normal. Nice green egg layers. I'd prefer their LF EE's, all sorts of colors, whites, buffs, blues, black, mostly wheaten colors.

McMurray's EE Bantams, I only had a few, they were weak and died a few days later after they arrived.

10. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have Silkies and WF black spanish bantams from Ideal, I ordered 8 WFBS and only 4 made it. They are gorgeous! Big white face on my rooster, and not even a year old! I have 2 silkies and they are O.K, I wouldn't say tthey are ugly. The one in my avitar is my rooster. I have had lot better luck with standard breeds from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by