1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ideal breeds for a colorful egg basket?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by piccolini, Feb 18, 2011.

1. piccolini

piccolini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    I don't know about you, but when I see eggs at the store I am dissapointed by their lack of variety. You can buy white or brown but either way they are the same size shape and color. So my idea for my FFA project was to give people the opportunity for a colorful egg basket. I was wondering, which breeds would be ideal breeds that would give me large eggs in all ranges of colors?
    I have already ordered:
    3 buff orpingtons
    5 marans
    3 RIR
    5 EE
    3 barred rock
    5 leghorns
    They will arrive in march. I have room for some more in my coop. Do you think this will give me the variety in color I am looking for? Are there any other interesting egg colors out there?
    thanks

2. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Welsummers lay a dark brown egg with more orange in it than a marans - like a terra cotta brown - the color of clay pots.

Not available from hatcheries but are available from people here on BYC are "olive eggers". A hen made by crossing Marans or Welsummer with Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas or Auracanas. The eggs are different shades of olive greens, very beautiful.

Some breeds lay a cream colored egg, a very light brown that looks nice in the basket. Its called "tinted" by hatcheries.

3. piccolini

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    Thank you! I will try to get my hands on some Welsummers [​IMG]

4. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I have some turken/silkie (they're not showgirls, they're their own breed - LOL!) crosses that lay beautiful tinted eggs. I know hatcheries don't sell the cross that I have, but anyway, I agree that tinted eggs would be a nice addition. They're like a cross betweeen white eggs and brown eggs, like a light tan-ish - but definitely not white. I sell my eggs to co-workers, and they love the mixed variety and sizes of eggs that I sell.

I am expecting 15 pullets in March that I ordered from Ideal, a surprise special. I can't wait to see what I get!!![​IMG]

Have fun with this, it sounds like a really neat project!

5. piccolini

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    Thanks! I think it will be really fun! I cannot wait for them to come either!

6. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    As mentioned above, I would get an olive egger and a true blue laying ameraucana or two. Good luck, it sounds like you are going to do well.

7. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    Salmon Faverolles lay a pink egg.

8. piccolini

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    gorgeous! now I'll have to get some of those too! SO excited! Thank you for all the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by