Ideal chicks(ducks and geese) came this morning!!(lots of pictures)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GockeyEgg, Feb 29, 2008.

1. GockeyEgg

GockeyEgg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2008
    PA
    Our order from Ideal arrived this morning. We had 4 that were DOA, and one more that never pepped up and died a few hours later. We lost a blue silkie, all 3 crele OEGB and I think a Blue Mille Fleur OEGB. We have 20 chicks, 3 runner ducks and 2 geese alive now that are doing fantastically. They are eating, drinking, pooing, playing, and sleeping.

Now, what you really came for, the pictures. I believe I have everything identified but please feel free to speak up if you see that I made a mistake. This is my first time trying this out...

1. The Naked Necks(pullets), these remind us of old ladies that wear fur coats and hats.
    [​IMG]

2. The Barnevelders(pullets)
    [​IMG]

3. The Cream Brabanters(pullets)
    [​IMG]

4. The Blue Andalusians(pullets), these 2 are so sweet.
    [​IMG]

5.3 Tiny Banties(straight run) I believe the one on the left and the one right behind it are the Porcelain Dutch, and the one on the right is the Blue Mille Fleur. That little one in the front left is the smallest in the whole bunch and very nice, the one in the front right is the meanest one. That one was even trying to take on the geese. HA!
    [​IMG]

6. 3 Black Runner Ducks(straight run)
    [​IMG]

7. 2 Geese(straight run), any guesses on what these might grow up to be? These 2 are way too funny. I just love how big and clumsy they are. They've really stolen the spotlight. I am so glad we got them.
    [​IMG]

8. 5 Evil Silkies(straight run), 2 Grey, 2 Red and 1 Black. That little black one is the noisiest little thing in the whole bunch. I think he is trying to send us secret messages.
    [​IMG]

Back to playing with the foofy fluffies!

ETA-I totally forgot to take a picture of the gold sex-links. Buggar. I will have to do that tomorrow, it is too dark to do it now.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    They are so cute. I just love the black little duckies.

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Oh my goodness, how paarecious!!!!! Eek, I just want to squeeze the little goslings [​IMG] I love the pic of them by the way [​IMG] Along with all the others, of course!

4. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    THe yellow gossling is probably an embden and the other might be a toulouse? I cant remember what all they have. Also the 2 stripped silkies are actually partrige. Jenn

5. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Awww nothing is cuter than a baby duck to me! But I had never seen goslings before [​IMG] They are just as adorable aren't they!! Thanks for sharing.
    Kristi
    P.S. I am so jealous about the Barnevelders!

6. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I got my ideal chicks and ducklings this morning, too! Aren't they amazing? My favorite hatchery.

7. greysandy

greysandy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    OMG, they are too cute! I'm neurotic just waiting for my order to come in on Monday....it seems so far away!

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I got greys from Ideal last spring and those most likely are in fact greys, many of the greys I recieved looked like this as chicks and many of those grew up to be pretty close to proper grey coloring.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  9. sailor_v

sailor_v Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    california
    omg they are adorable!!!

I can’t wait till March! That when I will ordering them in that month

10. GockeyEgg

GockeyEgg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2008
    PA
    These guys are just so much fun to watch. We've done nothing since we got them. The kids are having a blast.

I ordered grey silkies so I assumed that is what they were. One of the red silkies only has 4 toes, once again I am assuming this is just something that happens with hatcheries. Is that a safe assumption or could it be some other kind of chick?

I realized this morning I also forgot to take a picture of the 2 GLW.

I can't get over the geese. They follow each other around, snuggle together and don't make much noise(yet HA!). We are going to build them their own brooder to share with the ducklings today. We want to get them in their own space, although they are doing surprisingly well with even the littlest chicks. I believe the little chicks think the geese are their Mama. They climb over the geese and snuggle up with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by